|Nigerian Pepper soup|
This is one of the sought after Nigerian soups and is usually named based on the type of meat (protein)used in cooking it.
The recipe below, is the Assorted cow meat pepper soup, you can also check out the recipe for Goat meat pepper soup and Catfish peppersoup(point and kill)
Ingredients for Nigerian Pepper Soup : Assorted Cow Meat Pepper soup
*500 g Assorted Cow(tripe, heart, liver&muscle)...cut into small pieces
*2 tablespoonful pepper soup spice mix
*Habanero/Chilli Pepper (to taste)
*2 teaspoonful Dry Uziza/basil leaves (optional)
*1 tablespoonful of ground Crayfish
*2 Stock cubes /stock powder(maggi or knorr e.t.c)
* 1 teaspoon thyme (optional)
*1 medium Onion bulb(chopped)
* Salt - to taste
*Water (as needed)
Quick Note: I always make my own pepper soup spice mix but in the absence of these spices, you can make use of only roasted Calabash Nutmeg a.k.a Ehu /Ehuru/Ariwo after peeling off the roasted skin.
Updated 24/09/2015 with step by step pics
* * If you don't have the pre- packaged pepper soup spices, you can prepare you own pepper soup spices by following the recipe HERE.
1. First, clean and cook the toughest meat first; which is usually the cow foot and tripe (shaki). Add salt and thyme, pour enough water to cover the meat and leave to cook for 35 minutes on medium heat.
Tip: The thyme is optional, so you can leave it out if you want to.
2. After 35 minutes, stir and add the cow heart. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the muscle(fuku) and the liver. Stir well and add more water to cover the meat.
3. Add the chopped onions and stock cubes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Next, add the ground pepper, ground crayfish, uziza/basil leaves ,the ground pepper soup spices, mix thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes or until the assorted meat are well cooked.
5. Now the pepper soup is ready . Serve hot and enjoy.
Nigerian Pepper Soup can be served alone as a side dish, or eaten as a meal, with Eko (agidi), Agidi jollof, boiled yams, boiled potatoes, boiled white rice and boiled plantains.
** Don't forget to check out the recipes for Goat meat pepper soup, Catfish peppersoup, Nigerian Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup , and Ji Mmiri Oku (Yam and Dried Fish Pepper Soup Porridge).
☺ Thanks for your readership,comments and feedback.
Please Stay updated on facebook,subscribe and also watch Nigerian Food TV videos for detailed video recipes ☺
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete