|Ofe Owerri Soup|
Ofe Owerri, is a delicious traditional soup from Owerri, Imo state(Eastern Nigeria).
This soup is popular for its rich taste and nutritional value.It is basically made with assorted fish and mixed green vegetables.
When it comes down to the type of vegetable to use, it is actually a matter of preference. Two different types of vegetables are commonly used for Ofe Owerri, which can be mixture of any of these; Ukazi(okazi)&Ugu, Ora(oha)&Ukazi(okazi) OR Ugu&Oha. In the absence of Ugu, Oha and Okazi, Spinach leaves can be used.
*Here's a video recipe on How to cook Ofe Owerri
Ingredients for Ofe Owerri
- 2 large smoked fish (preferebly Asa Fish)
- 3 medium pieces Stock Fish
- 300 gr Assorted Beef
- 1 cup smoked prawns(use ground Crayfish as substitute)
- 4 cocoyam corms OR 2 cookingspoonful pounded Cocoyam paste(click to learn how to make cocoyam paste in a blender)
- 2 handful Okazi leaves( if you use dried okazi, grind in blender before use)
- 2 handful Ugwu leaves OR Spinach Or Oha/Ora leaves
- 2 cooking spoonful Palm oil
- 2 Stock cubes
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
Before cooking Ofe Owerri
** Wash and shred the vegetables and leave to strain in a colander/sieve. Set aside
** Boil the cocoyam corms until soft and pound/blend to form a paste(Here'a how to make cocoyam paste in a blender).Set aside
** Rinse the Dried prawns and set aside
** Soak the smoked fish in hot water to soften it a bit, then wash thoroughly with hot water and carefully clean out the inside without breaking the fish to pieces. Then Set aside.
**Wash the beef and the stock fish and place in a pot
Now to prepare the soup
*Season the meat and stock fish with stock cube,salt and any of your favorite meat seasoning. Add a little water and leave to cook until tender. You can add more water if need be.
*Add the cleaned dried prawns, pepper, stock cube and palm oil.
Mix thoroughly and add the cocoyam paste, bit by bit. Cover and leave to cook until the cocoyam paste dissolve completely. Stir continously so that the soup doesn't burn at the bottom.
* Add the smoked fish and boil for 3 minutes (adding the fish at this stage keeps it from breaking to pieces in the soup).
* Then add the Vegetables. If you are using dried okazi leaves, add this first, simmer for 5 minutes before adding the Ugu/Spinach/Oha leaves.
*Simmer for 3 minutes and add salt to taste, and your delicious Ofe Owerri is ready.
Ofe Owerri is usually served with Akpu(fufu), pounded yam or Eba, but you can also enjoy this rich soup with any other Nigerian bolus meals .
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
* Nigerian Okra Soup