Nigerian Peppered Gizzards is the ''Nigerian-style stewed gizzards''. It is popularly known as a ''small chop'' (finger food) and served as an appetizer at parties and other festive events.
It is also a big favorite in most homes;usually served on skewers and enjoyed as a dish by itself or with rice recipes, such as Jollof Rice or Fried Rice.
The Nigerian Peppered Gizzards recipe is meant to be pepperish, but you can twist it up a bit to suit your taste bud. ☺.
Ingredients for Nigerian Peppered Gizzards
* 800 grams chicken gizzards (you might need more, as they tend to shrink a bit)
* 2 scotch bonnet peppers (or to suit your taste)
* 1 red bell pepper (tatashe)(optional)
* 1 fresh red tomato
* 2 large onions
* 1 chopped garlic clove/1 teaspoon powdered garlic
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 1 teaspoon Curry (optional)
* 1 teaspoon Ground crayfish (optional)
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 stock cube(the big type)
* Salt (to taste)
Note: if you have Fried pepper stew or chicken stew you won't be needing the tomatoes and red peppers.
For the Garnish you need:
* 1 green bell pepper (chopped into tiny cubes)
* 1 small red onions (chopped into tiny cubes)
Clean the Gizzards, remove the yellow lining and Wash with salted water or lemon juice;Then rinse in running water, strain and set aside.
you buy yours cleaned and prepacked,the yellow lining might not be there, so simply wash in salted water /lemon juice , rinse and
1. Place the cleaned gizzards into a pot, pour enough water
to cover it and season with half onion bulb, one stock cube, thyme and salt
to taste. Cook until tender and set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, Heat up five (5) tablespoons vegetable oil. Saute or fry the gizzards in the oil until all sides are beautifully browned.
Transfer onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Keep the saucepan(and the oil) for later use.
Tip: For a healthier option,you can grill the gizzards in the oven until brown.
3. Chop the tomato,peppers and one large onion and blend until smooth.
Tip: Don't add any water to the blender,the juice from the tomato will serve.
4. Heat up the sauce pan, Add minced onions, garlic,curry and ground crayfish.
Stir-Fry a bit until you can perceive the aroma of the onions and spices.
Then pour in the blended pepper mix and Fry until the sour taste of the pepper is gone. This takes about 15 minutes.
Tip: You'll know the sauce is ready when the oil rises to the top of the sauce
Tip: If you have Pepper sauce 0r chicken stew, you can skip step 3.
4. Now you can add the sauteed/fried gizzards to the sauce;add stock cube or salt to taste,mix thoroughly and simmer for 3 minutes, until the gizzards is softened a bit (you can taste to check).
5. Finally, add the garnish(the chopped green peppers and onions), Mix thoroughly and put of the heat.
And your meal is ready.
You can serve on skewers or bamboo sticks.
Nigerian Peppered Gizzards (spicy stewed gizzards)can be served by itself , with plantains ,used as a topping for jollof rice, fried rice, coconut rice or plain boiled white rice. The choice is yours, Enjoy!