|Jollof Spaghetti with vegetables|
Jollof Spaghetti or Spaghetti Jollof is a quick meal, that got it's name from the popular Nigerian Jollof Rice.
Jollof Spaghetti is quite easy to prepare and can be made with or without vegetables.
In the recipe below, I'll show you how I prepare mine with common vegetables.
Jollof Spaghetti Ingredients:
This recipe serves 2 to 3 persons
- 50 pieces spaghetti (approx. 200 grams)
- 4 cooking-spoonful red stew(tomato stew,chicken stew or beef stew)
- 1 carrot
- 1 handful green beans
- 1 small Irish potato (optional)
- 2 runner beans (optional)
- 2 tablespoonful Sweet Corn (optional)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- About 150ml Meat or Chicken stock(you can use water as a substitute)
- 1 tablespoonful ground crayfish(optional)
- 1 stock cube/seasoning cube
- scotch bonnets peppers/atarodo (to taste)
- salt to taste
- Water, as needed
You can also add chopped whole tomatoes, green bell pepper or any other easy-cook vegetables of choice
Cooking Directions for Jollof Spaghetti :
<<Before cooking Jollof Spaghetti >>
Wash and chop all the vegetables you'll be using.
Then prepare your stew, if you don't already have some stew.
Here's how to prepare Tomato stew, Beef stew or Chicken stew
1. Put some water to boil , when it starts to bubble, add the spaghetti and a little salt and parboil for 3 minutes. Then strain into a sieve.
This pre-cooking process helps to get rid of the excess starch that comes with most spaghetti , but you can leave it out if your brand of spaghetti has a low starch content.
2. Place the prepared stew into a pot (If you like your jollof spaghetti really ''stewy'', you can set aside about a cooking-spoonful of the stew, for later use)
Add the meat or chicken stock(or water) into the stew pot and leave to boil on high heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add the precooked spaghetti, the vegetables, the ground crayfish (this is optional), the stock cube , salt and pepper to taste... and any other seasoning you like to add and leave to boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
4. When the liquid in the spaghetti is almost dried, add the remaining stew to the top, cover the pot and simmer for 1 minute until the spaghetti is done.
Now mix thoroughly and turn off the heat... and your Jollof Spaghetti is Ready.
Food for thought: A Ghanaian friend once joked about the word ''jollof'' , she said the word might actually mean ''soaked in red stew'', because everything with a jollof is always stew related: jollof rice, jollof beans , jollof spaghetti, jollof indomie etc... well, who knows, she might not be far from the truth.
You might also like these recipes below:
* Jollof Rice
* Nigerian Fried Rice
* Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) with Chicken &Vegetables
* Ofada Rice and sauce
* Nigerian Coconut Rice
* Nigerian Egg Fried Rice
* Grilled Fish Served with Boiled White Rice and Tomato stew
* How to Boil ''Non-soggy'' White Rice for Nigerian Stews and Sauces
* How to Parboil long grain white Rice(Nigerian method)
Thanks for your comments and feedbacks. Do join us on Nigerian Food TV channel and Facebook for step by step video recipes ☺.