|Nigerian Rice and Beans (Plain) with grilled Chicken|
Rice and beans simply go hand in hand.
You can either prepare them in form of jollof, as in this Jollof rice and beans recipe or plain as in this other recipe here. Or you can prepare the meals separately and combine them according to your preference(that is, if you prefer more rice and less beans or vice versa).
Today I'll show you how to prepare the perfect plain beans.
For the steps to make perfect boiled white Rice , please click on this link to take you to a post with detailed explanations.
For the perfect plain beans recipe
- 300 g red beans /black eyed beans/brown beans
- 1 medium onion bulb, chopped or ground
- 1 cooking spoonful Vegetable oil(optional)
- 1 stock cube(optional)
- Pepper to taste(optional)
- Salt to taste
Tip: some people prefer to leave out the oil, stock cube and pepper and simply use only water and salt. This also goes well if you want to use that method
Before cooking :
++Pick the beans carefully and take out stones and unwanted particles.
++To save time and reduce ''gases'', you can soak the beans for 3 hours. Rinse off and set aside.Or alternatively , use a pressure cooker
To cook the Plain Beans
1. Pour the beans into a pot, add enough water, about 2 inches above the level of the beans and leave to boil for about 45 minutes or until tender.You can add more if the water dries before the beans is tender.
Tip: alternatively you can make use of 1 teaspoonful Akaun(edible potash) or baking soda to soften the beans as it boils or a pressure cooker. In this way the beans will cook between 20 to 25 minutes.
2. When the beans is tender, add the pepper, oil and stock cube(if you're using); also add salt to taste, mix well and leave to simmer for 5 more minutes until the liquid in the pot is dried up.
And your Beans is ready.
Now that you have your boiled beans and probably followed the recipe for the perfect white rice, you can now serve the meals as you like.
Bon Appétit and don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, remain blessed :)