|Adalu/Ewa ati Agbado (Beans and corn Porridge)|
Adalu (Nigerian Beans and corn Porridge) is a delicious traditional Nigerian food, also known as ”Ewa ati Agbado’‘(yoruba) and ”agwa na oka’‘(igbo).
It is a great way to combine beans and corn together. In this way, you get the best of both foods in a single meal. If you are not a fan of beans , this recipe will make you an instant beans lover ☺. Here’s an easy Beans and corn Porridge recipe. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Adalu/Beans and corn Porridge:
- 300 g red beans /black eyed beans/brown beans
- 250 g sweet corn(either canned or raw from the cob)
- 1 medium onion bulb, chopped
- 2 tablespoonful ground crayfish
- 2 cooking spoonful red palm oil/red stew oil
- 1 stock cube
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
Preparation: Before cooking :
**To cut down on cooking time and reduce ”gases”, you can soak the beans overnight or for 3 hours. Rinse off and set aside.
If you are short of time, alternatively , you can use a pressure cooker or make use of Akaun(edible potash) or baking soda, to soften the beans as it boils)
**If you are using canned sweet corn, strain out the liquid, rinse (if you like) and pour into a sieve and set aside.
**If you are using fresh raw corn from the cob, remove from cob,wash well and set aside.
To cook the Adalu/Beans and corn Porridge
1. Pour the beans into a pot, add enough water and leave to cook until for about 45 minutes or until tender.
Tip: alternatively , you can use a pressure cooker
or make use of 1 teaspoonful Akaun(edible potash) or baking soda, to soften the beans as it boils.
2. When the beans is tender, add the sweet corn , crayfish, pepper and stock cube, mix well and leave to cook for 10 minutes.(if you are using raw corn, add it to the pot at the same time as the beans,because it also takes a long time to cook)
3. After 10 minutes, stir well and add the palm oil and salt to taste. Leave to simmer for 10 more minutes and your Adalu/Beans and corn Porridge is ready.
Adalu/Beans and corn Porridge can be eaten on its own or topped with Nigerian Fish Stew or Stir-fried greens.
Food For Thought:
Do you know that cooked sweet corn increases the level of ferulic acid in our bodies , which helps us to prevent cancers?
Well, now you know 🙂 , Enjoy your meal.
|Beans and corn Porridge(Adalu) with Stir-fried Green Veggies(click image for veggie recipe)|