Homemade Yogurt With Powdered Milk – No Yogurt maker

Homemade Yogurt from Milk Powder without a Yogurt maker (Boiling Method)

When I tell people that I make my own yogurt, they stare at me and wonder why I bother with all the work when I could simply buy one at any store.

But when I also tell them that it only takes about 10 minutes or less to get the best homemade yogurt with no additives or flavors, I see their eyes light up with interest, just the same way, I did many years ago when my ”DIY’er group” showed me how to make yogurt with all types of milk you can ever imagine (Oh yes! get ready to be amazed).

Yogurt is a necessity in my home as my children and I love it as part of our quick and healthy meals, so you bet that we make it a lot.

In this yogurt making series, I will be showing you how to make yogurt with all types of milk, but we’ll be starting off with two easy methods for making yogurt at home without a yogurt maker and also using milk powder (powdered milk).

Why milk powder (powdered milk) yogurt? Well, since milk powder is the milk readily available in Africa and some parts of Asia, it is also the most highly requested type of yogurt by my lovely readers. So we’ll be starting with that and I’ll also be showing two methods to make milk powder yogurt at home.

The first one uses the traditional boiling method; where the milk is boiled to a certain temperature, left to cool and then the starter(yogurt culture) is added.
While the second method is even easier and does not require any boiling, that even my 10 yr old can make it(It is that easy).
CLICK ▶ IN VIDEO BELOW TO PLAY

Now for both yogurt making methods you’ll have to keep the yogurt mixture warm and undisturbed for at least 8 hours, so that the yoghurt can set properly without being runny. But if you are actually aiming for a runny yogurt(as in a liquid yogurt drink), then 6 hours is all you need, as long as the mixture is left at an optimum temperature of about 44ºC to 46ºC(110°F to 115°F).

Once it is set , you can go ahead and enjoy your very own homemade yogurt and sweeten as you like, but before that, make sure you scoop out about 3 to 4 tablespoonful and store in an icecube tray in the freezer for your next yogurt batch.

And I can’t truly talk about yogurt, without giving honor to Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus ; the yummy bacteria species (yes, I said yummy) that does all the work here, while I just relax and wait.

These bacteria also keep our tummy happy and help with metabolism. Most store bought yogurt may also include some friends such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Bifidus regularis (my microbiology course truly paid off here, LOL).. NOW LET’S GET DOWN TO DA RECIPEeee!

Ingredients

• 1 cup (125grams) Milk powder or powdered milk
  • 3 cups(750ml) Water
  • 2 to 4 tablespoonful(125ml) Plain natural Yogurt or Greek yogurt(store-bought)

Quick note: the yoghurt used can be natural liquid yogurt or the thick yogurt as used in this recipe.
You can also make use of either natural yoghurt or greek. The greek yogurt tends to be thicker than the the plain natural one, because it has less whey in it(which is that liquid you find at the top of the yogurt.

Preparation

Method 1:

1. Pour the milk powder or powdererd milk into a saucepan, add a cup of the lukewarm water and mix well to dissolve the milk.
Now add the remainning water and stir well.
Note: Some friends like to add sugar and flavor at the point, buy I’ll advice you not to,I’ll explain at the end.

2. Place the saucepan on medium heat and set the milk to a boil.
Stir constantly to avoid scorching-
When you begin to see some tiny bubbles on the milk , stir and stay alert, and the moment it starts to boil, remove it immediately from heat,
if not it will boil over, but just in case it happens to you, don’t worry, you can still continue with the next step.

3. Now we’ll let the hot milk cool down to about 44ºC, not so hot or cold

4. Scoop out that thin film that has formed on top of the milk and mix in the yogurt

If you like you can dilute or thin out the yougurt with some of the warm milk, before pouring it into the other milk.

Mix thoroughly until well combined, you can also use a blender for this as it makes it faster.

5. Now carefully pour the mixture into a container of choice and seal tightly.
I also take an extra step and seal with a clean plastic bag or foil paper or a huge blanket.
You can also use towels if you like, this is to conserve the internal temperature of the yogurt

6. When that is done you can now place it in a warm oven or a food cooler with hot water bottles beneath it or anywhere around your home that gets a little heat because this yogurt need to stay pretty warm and undisturbed for 8 to 12 hours so that it can set properly.

7. After eight hours, you’ll get a thick natural yogurt, with no sweeteners or flavors.

8. Now you can scoop out about 4 tablesooopful and set aside for your next batch.
You see! now you have you own natural yogurt with live cultures, no more buying from the store; just as I told you.

At this point , you can add any flavor or sweetener of choice.
Note: If you had added them at step 1 you would have ended up with a sweet yogurt which might not suitable if you want a natural yogurt in your next batch.

So now what are you waiting for, go make some yogurt!
Below are some recipes I made with this yogurt

Thank you so much reading and watching the video and if you enjoyed this recipe please give us a shout out by leaving a comment below and also tell us if you have any other method you use in making yogurt or if you’ll try this recipe

Also subscribe and stay tuned for how to make yogurt with milk powder/ powdered milk using the ”no boil” method( second method).

Hello! Please leave your comment below and I'll get back to you in a jiffy :)

1. Toba
    December 1, 2019 / 5:38 pm

Hi Nky,
    I am still expecting tutorial on how to make yoghurt without boiling.

Thanks for good info

2. Dbos
    November 26, 2019 / 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing. Please, can I come for practicals?

3. Chinwe
    November 20, 2019 / 11:51 am

How do you store the reserved portion of yoghurt for your next batch

• November 22, 2019 / 12:28 pm

Hi Chinwe, I freeze my reserved yogurt for no more than 2 weeks
      and use it all up in the next batch and then scoop out some fresh ones
      from the new yoghurt and freeze again( the circle continues 🙂

4. Debra
    November 17, 2019 / 6:09 pm

Please what if I want to turn the yogurt in a rubber container for sales after mixing it please how do I leave it to set, do I just keep the yogurt in the containers in a warm place to set for hours before putting it in the fridge to chill before I sell them. Thanks

• November 22, 2019 / 12:39 pm

Hi Debra , all that the yougurt needs is a warm place of about t 44ºC to 46ºC(110°F to 115°F)
      and undisturbed
      If you are planning to make a large batch for sale, please get a room thermometer if you can , so that you’ll
      be sure the yogurt is setting at the required temperature.

5. Effy
    November 6, 2019 / 8:12 pm

Hi. Please can I use instant filled milk powder for this?

6. EseAnire
    August 15, 2019 / 4:06 pm

Hi NKY
    Thanks for the recipe i will try the yogurt soon. What will I mix with powdered whipping cream to get my stiff peak for ice cream. What I bought is the powdered type. Kisses

• EseAnire
        August 18, 2019 / 6:13 pm

Thanks for ur kindness, I will try it out. Kisses.

• EseAnire
            October 4, 2019 / 8:35 pm

Hello NKY. Please I want to know why my cake always sink at the middle every time I bake. Don’t know if its my oven. I need your assistant on how to go about it.

• October 5, 2019 / 10:34 am

Hi Eseanire, I think I could write a special post on this one.
            It happens to the best of us too and can be due to several reasons.
            But the most commom reasons why cake always sinks at the middle are
            1. Temperature, both high and low temperature could make a cake sink at the middle´
            Make sure you are baking at the right temperature and not a lower or higher one.

And during the early baking stage, that’s before the cake sets, try to avoid opening the
            oven door and checking on the cake continously to know
            if it is ready or not
            By doing so, cold air rushes into the oven and the sudden drop in temperature may affect the rising cake.
            And avoid shutting the oven door with a lot of force as that also affects the cake.
            Also a well risen cake can suddenly fall in the middle due to over heating. Make sure you take
            a cake out of the oven, the moment it is done baking and leave on counter top to cool.

2. The potency of the baking powder. Make sure that the baking powder you are using hasn’t expired before use- as this also affects the cake-

3. Excess baking powder. I am guilty of this one too. I can sometimes play the expert and overdo it sometimes and the result could be either a bitter tasting cake or my cake sinks at the middle . So please avoid that too.

4. Aha overbeating or overmixing of the cake batter. THis one looks harmless but my dear, only mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated. If you are using a machine , watch it closely and don’t wait until the batter is creamy and shiny, just mix gently and for a short time.

Hope this has been helpful, and let me know how it turned out and please leave the next comment on the cake section, so that someone else would learn from them too. Happy baking!

7. Joy
    July 22, 2019 / 6:32 am

Hi Nky
    If i want my yoghurt sweet n i dont want to add it at the begining. Do i add the sugar at the end n if yes do i mix the suger in water before adding it.
    Would appriciate your response.

• August 1, 2019 / 8:30 pm

Yes Joy, I think I said that in the recipe too ? You don’t have to add the sugar at the beginning
      and when you want to add it, simply dissolve the sugar in a little of the yogurt before pouring it into the rest.

8. Jules
    May 20, 2019 / 10:54 am

Hi Nky,

You are doing an amazing job and helping homes in an extra ordinary way,. You may never know! Thank you so much for all the extra effort and hard work you put in to helping many.

How do I make my yogurt thicker.? I tried and it came out perfect but I would love a thicker one. What to reduce or add?

• May 24, 2019 / 3:02 pm

Thanks jules.
      You can choose to add more powdered milk or less water from the start.
      In that way you will get a thicker yogurt and also let the yogurt sit for a longer time before you use it.
      If you are using liquid yogurt as your starter, you should use less water in the preparation.
      Do let me know how it turns out this time around.

9. EseAnire
    April 18, 2019 / 6:08 pm

Nikki thank you for your recipe, I has fellow every step of your instructions and everything came out perfect. Please I want to know what whipping cream is use for and how to use it and with what to use it. God bless you for me. Kisses.

• April 25, 2019 / 11:19 am

Thanks for your feedback Ese.
      Good to hear from you.
      Whipping cream is used as a topping or for decorating cakes and other snacks or fruit desert 🙂

10. Abolore Aina
    April 3, 2019 / 10:12 am

You are a God-sent. This yogurt reciper came just in time. No more wasting money at the supermarket. My family go through 1kg of yogurt every week, now I can make my own
    Feedback on the way 🙂