How to bake cake without an oven (sand method) & on a stove top
After my combined post here on ”How to Bake Cake Without an Oven’‘, I have been receiving emails and phone calls(I forgot my number was on the ”about me page” ☺).
The emails and phone calls were mostly from young students, asking for clarity on the two stovetop methods mentioned in the post. I guess that reading about the two methods in one post was a bit confusing, so today, in response to that, I’ll show you how to make/bake cake without an oven using the sand method and of course, there is an explanatory video below to go with it.
Hope you find it useful☺.
Steps:1. First prepare your baking pan by either lining with a parchment paper or greasing with butter and dust lightly with flour.
Next, gently pour the clean sand/stones into the pot, place an aluminium or metal plate on it and heat up for 5 minutes.
While the pot is heating up, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl, until creamy; add the eggs and beat well; add the milk and flavor, also beat well and finally sift in the baking powder and flour. Combine all together and pour into the prepared baking pan.
|Left: Hot pot with high aluminium plate, Right: Preparing the cake batter.
2. Carefully, open the now hot pot and place your cake pan on the hot rack
Important: Never place the cake pan directly on the bottom of the sand, or the cake will burn like crazy. Always make sure there is a separation between the cake pan and the sand.
3. Now cover the pot again and leave the cake to bake well on medium- high heat for about 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat and let the cake continue baking for 15 to 30 minutes(depending on the size of the cake you are baking and the type of cooker you are using).
4. After 15 minutes open up the pot and check for doneness by dipping the center with a skewer/toothpick. If the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is done baking, but if it comes out moist, let the cake bake a little longer and test with the skewer again, after 5 minutes.
This cake took about 20 minutes.
5. When the cake is done, take it out of the hot pot and leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning it over on a cake rack or plate.
Serve and Enjoy ☺.
1.While baking cake on sand, you have to careful, so that the sand doesnt get into the cake batter
2. The cake bakes evenly when you make use of a round baking pan .
3.Onlike the conventional oven, where you simply regulate the temperature and just wait until the cake bakes, baking on sand is not so.
You have to sit and watch the cake from time to time as it bakes: no dashing to watch TV, or running errands, just sit and watch.
4. While checking the cake, if you realize that the cake is almost done,you can simply put off the heat and let the heat from the sand underneath, cook the cake through., then check again and take it out of the pot.
5. The biggest downside of this method is that, the cake usually browns more at the bottom or worse might get burnt. This happened the first time I tried it, but later I got better ☺, so watch the cake closely.
I really hope this tips helps all those lovely students out there. Wishing you all the best.
Below is a video showing another nice method for making cake without an oven, without sand.
We love your comments, so feel free to ask questions and send us your feedback if you try out this method.
You might also like:
* Easy Fruit Cake (Christmas special)