Stuffed Potato(yam) Ball(s) is a Latin American snack that has made it’s way to the Nigerian kitchen. It is a deep fried ball, made with mashed Irish potato and filled with spiced minced meat and veggies.
To give it a Nigerian twist, you can also prepare it with mashed yams or sweet potatoes and fill with meat and veggies of choice.
This rich snack is another tasty addition to the Nigerian snacks and Small chop table.
Here’s how to prepare it;
Ingredients for Stuffed Potato(yam) Balls
– 3 large Irish potatoes Or 6 medium yam cubes Or sweet potatoes(use yam flour or potato flour as substitute)
– 30 grams or 1½ handful ground/minced Meat(beef/chicken/shrimps or Crab meat can be used)
– 1 medium sized Carrot(chopped)
– 1 small sized Onion(chopped)( spring onions can also be used)
– Half teaspoon Garlic powder(optional)
– Half teaspoon chopped parsley(optional)
– 1 teaspoon thyme or oregano
– 1 teaspoon Curry powder
– A pinch of ground Chili pepper
– 1 Seasoning cube (knorr or Maggi)
– 1 tablespoon salt
– Oil for deep frying
– 5o grams Flour
– 1 large egg (whisked)
– 50 grams Bread crumbs
Tip: For a a richer filling you can also add chopped tomatoes,bell peppers, peas or sweet corn.
1. Wash, peel and cut the potatoes or yams into small cubes. Rinse and place in a pot, pour enough water to cover the potatoes(yams), add the salt and boil until tender.
2. Strain off the water and mash the boiled potatoes(yams) until smooth. Set aside for later use.
Tip: if using yam or potato flour, heat up some hot water and pour in the flour and stir until you get a stiff but soft dough(just like pounded yam).
3. Marinate the minced meat with curry, thyme, parsley, chili pepper, garlic powder ,stock cube(seasoning cube) and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly until well incorporated
Then heat up a tablespoon of oil on a pan, add the chopped onions, stir fry a bit and add the spiced minced meat. Stir fry until the meat browns and cooks through(that is,until the meat is done).
Add the chopped carrots;You can add extra seasoning or salt if you want to.
Stir- fry for 1 minute, put off the heat and leave to cool.
4. Using a spoon, Scoop up the mashed potatoes(yams); mold to form a ball, flatten it and scoop in the cooled meat filling. Seal and roll into a ball.
An easier method, is to form a ball, make a hole in the center, scoop in the filling and seal.
Repeat this process for the remaining mashed potatoes(yams).
Tip: Don’t overfill the balls, to prevent bursting while frying.
5. Now place the flour, whisked eggs and breadcrumbs in three (3) separate plates and gently coat each of the molded balls , first with the flour, followed by the whisked egg and finally, the breadcrumbs.
Tip: it’s a rule to keep the balls in the fridge for 30mins-1hour, so that they don’t fall apart while frying,but I fried mine immediately and it came out fine 🙂 .
6. Heat up the oil in a deep pot until hot, then fry the balls until golden brown.Tip: the oil should be deep enough to cover the balls.
Serve and Enjoy!
Stuffed Potato(yam) Ball(s) can be eaten with pepper sauce, ketchup or Mayo-ketch(which is a mixture of ketchup & Mayonnaise).