Homemade Shortbread Recipe (3-ingredients only)

Homemade shortbread recipe,homemade scottish shortbread, walkers shortbread,mcvities shortbread recipe , shortbread fingers, nigerian food tv

Homemade Shortbread recipe (just as Mcvities & Walkers does it)
 Shortbread Fingers are one of my favorite biscuits.
     As a teen, I used to indulge a lot on the Walkers and McVities Shortbread brand and loved to have it with a hot beverage, but a few years back, I found a recipe that worked perfectly for me, and now the whole family just can’t have enough.    Although the traditional recipe calls for only 3 ingredients, I like to add one extra ingredient which makes the ”already rich shortbread” even richer and also takes the taste to another level.

Here’s how I prepare mine.

++Get video recipe here++

Ingredients for Shortbread

– 150 grams Plain Flour or Fine Wheat flour- 100 grams Butter (not margarine)- 50 grams Icing sugar (powdered sugar)- 2 tablespoonful Powdered Milk (optional, but makes it extra rich and creamy)Tip: you can add about 3 tablespoonful of Corn flour or rice flour if you want to get a grainy texture.Also Remember that the powdered milk in this recipe is optional, so feel free to leave it out if you want to.

If you don’t have icing sugar, you can make use of finely ground granulated sugar.

This is the butter I used (oldenburger),it’s sold at big supermarkets

Shortbread Preparation:

1. Mix the butter and icing sugar together until creamy.2. Sieve the plain flour + powdered milk(or the corn flour or rice flour) into the bowl and mix thoroughly until well incorporated.3. Form a ball with the dough and leave to rest in the fridge or in a cool place for 30 minutes.

4.  Now, preheat the oven at 170ºC /325ºF  for about 5 minutes.

Then Place the dough on a
table and roll it out to 3/4 inch thick width, then cut into 2cm by
10cm shortbread fingers or shapes and gently transfer unto a baking
tray.

5. Using a toothpick, make indents on the shortbread fingers.

6. And finally, place the tray into the preheated oven and bake at 170ºC /325ºF for 10- 12 minutes or until firm, but not brown.Tip: shortbread should not be browned but should have a cream color.

7.  Leave to cool completely, Serve and Enjoy!

Thanks for your comments. Do join us on Nigerian Food TV channel for step by step video recipes ☺.

<<You might be interested in:
*How to make Icing sugar at home
* Easy Multi-Colour Polka Dots Fondant Cake for Beginners
* How to make Fondant from scratch
* How to Color Fondant for Cake Decorating
* How to Make Butter Icing (buttercream icing)
* How to cover a cake with Fondant
* Nigerian Cake Recipe
* Apple cake recipe
* Banana cake recipe
* How to make Cake in a Sandwich Toaster

1. Zainab Iyorchir
    July 15, 2018 / 12:28 am

can i use simas butter

2. Essay IA
    June 14, 2018 / 3:06 pm

Great job Nky!I want to make mine with home made butter, will it work out ?I bought washed manshanu from a fulani woman and processed it to get butter.have you tried to make it with non store bought butter before?

3. Unknown
    June 10, 2018 / 9:22 pm

hi Nky. Good job, I'm planning on making this shortbread biscuit and I want to use home made butter .I stay in the north and processed my butter from local manshanu gotten from the Fulanis. The issue is that I'm sure it has a higher moisture content than store bought butter, do you think it will work?

May 10, 2018 / 12:40 am

💗…..wonderful

5. Dede Vaughn
    April 28, 2017 / 6:45 am

Just ate about 4 of them with my coffee! The Walker ones.they're so expensive and a lot less to make and although those are great,mass produced foods have unhealthy additives!

March 7, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Yaaay super excited i tried this recipe n it came out really nice thanks Nky.. Wish i could share a pic

7. Nyiekaa Comfort
    December 1, 2016 / 9:22 pm

wow I must confess ur recipes are nice. I've tried most of them n it taste great, thanks alot NKY

8. naomi benamaisia
    November 20, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Hi I tried your recipe and after I brought the bough out of the fridge and I tried to knead it, it crumbled I thought I did something wrong so I tried again another day and the same thing happened. Been wondering what I did wrong any ideas? P.s this did not affect the taste Thank you

November 21, 2016 / 6:24 pm

Hi Naomi,I don't think you did anything wrong. The shortbread dough is not as firm as meatpie dough due to its high buter content ,so you have to handle it carefully.You can watch my video above to see how I worked with it, I'm sure you will get the perfect shape next time.Keep me posted.

9. Ann Uche
    September 27, 2016 / 9:42 am

Nky Lily Lete…..You are awesomeeeeeee!!!!Thank you!I made my shortbread this morning and it came out really nice…The funny thing is,my 9months old son saw it and wanted it,I gave him and he started eating it like he knew it since.When I tried collecting it from him,see retaliation!He loves it!From myself,my hubby and our son,we say GOD BLESS YOU!!!

September 28, 2016 / 5:26 pm

Lol… aww that boy knows good thing oo, but pls don't give him too much, bcos of the sugar 🙂 I'm so glad you all enjoyed it, thanks for your beautiful feedback Ann 🙂

10. uche
    September 20, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Nky God bless you. Been looking for the best menu site until i saw yours. please how do i subscribe so i can comment and ask questions? pls let me know if sandwich maker can be used to heat up the short bread without closing it

November 27, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Hi Uche, there is a subscribe button at the top of the page and you don't need to heat up the shortbread, it is a biscuit.

11. chisom umeh
    August 26, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Please do I have to grease the baking tray?

September 28, 2016 / 5:35 pm

No necessary dear Chisom 🙂

12. jenny
    July 12, 2016 / 4:34 pm

you too much.

September 28, 2016 / 5:33 pm

Thanks Jenny 🙂

13. olubunmi
    July 6, 2016 / 12:02 pm

This recipe is absolutely great, I'm a lover of shortbread and it's taste just d same, my hubby n colleagues were so amazed at d taste n I just told them were I got d recipe. I used d peak milk tin for my measurements but had to add more flour since twas a little sticky but it still came out so tasty. How long can they last since there is no form of preservative in it?

September 28, 2016 / 5:30 pm

They can keep up to a month if stored in an airtight container , but I'm sure there won't be any more shortbread remaining for that long 🙂

14. babalola olayinka
    May 28, 2016 / 7:42 am

U ar great,more grace 2 ur elbow

June 2, 2016 / 10:50 pm

Thanks Olayinka 🙂

15. Ikechukwu
    April 12, 2016 / 10:40 am

So I went to shoprite today and couldn't get oldenburg butter,but I bought "President" butter salted, 200g. Since I don't have measuring scales, I guess I will have to cut the butter in equal halves. How do I now measure my flour and sugar?

June 2, 2016 / 10:47 pm

If you dont have a scale, you'll have to use containers or cups e,g a tin of peak milk is around 170g, more or less.Hope this helps a little 🙂

16. Ikechukwu
    April 9, 2016 / 10:15 am

Thank you Aunty Nky, you are a life saver! My son has a thing for shortbread and it's very expensive buying on a regular. So I am definitely going to be baking soon. God bless you. Please more cake and Bread recipes for children. My boy is 3.

June 2, 2016 / 10:45 pm

I sure will.My love to your boy

17. martins olaide
    January 23, 2016 / 8:30 am

Thanks for the recipe. I've been using recipes on this site and my family loves everything I make. Thanks once again.

June 2, 2016 / 10:40 pm

You're welcome Olaide, glad to be of help.And thanks for your lovely feedback 🙂

18. esther trinity
    January 5, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Hello dear tnx alot. I tried out d recipe d taste was nice but d texture was as hard as normal biscuits wat could have been the problem.

January 9, 2016 / 8:33 pm

I guess you used much flour and less butter.

October 15, 2015 / 3:20 am

Swthrt you the best thanks will try it

January 9, 2016 / 8:35 pm