Nigerian Moi Moi : How to Make Nigerian Moi Moi (a.k.a Moyin moyin/mai mai/moin moin elemi meje

Nigerian Moyin Moyin, moi moi, How to Make Nigerian Moi Moi
Nigerian Moi Moi

Moi Moi, also pronounced as Moin Moin, Moyin Moyin, Moy Moy or Mai Mai is a traditional Nigerian food made with steamed ground beans and enriched with spices.

It is very common to see Moi Moi (Moin Moin) served at parties, wedding ceremonies and other festive occasions.
Moi Moi (Moin Moin) is usually eaten alone as a meal , but most times it is served with other Nigerian foods such as  Pap(Ogi or Akamu), Fried rice, Boiled white rice and stew, Jollof Rice an a lot more.
This delicious meal can be cooked in various ways .The most common method is cooking Moi Moi in bowls, Aluminium Foil Bags, Banana Leaves, Uma Leaves(Thaumatococcus Daniellii) or  in heat proof nylons.Here’s a detailed video on How to Cook Nigerian Moi Moi  an below is an easy to follow recipe.Enjoy!

Nigerian Moi Moi ingredients
*700g Black eyed or brown beans(1 big derica tin)
*1 Tatashe(red bell pepper)* 1 scotch bonnet pepper( atarodo/fresh pepper)
*2 cooking spoonful Vegetable Oil
*1 tablespoonful concentrated tomato puree (for extra color, but optional )* 4 Tablespoonful ground Crayfish *2 large Onions bulbs*Eggs OR cooked minced meat  OR Bone Marrow  OR Corned beef OR deboned smoked fish OR deboned boiled  fish
*3 bouillon/stock cubes for Seasoning(Maggi/Knorr cubes)*Water (as needed)* Salt to taste
tip: 700g equals 1 big derica tin
Cooking preparation for  Nigerian Moi MoiBefore you cook  the Nigerian Moi Moi**First soak the beans for about 1 hour (or overnight) and wash it, by scrubbing off the bean coat/skin.
   Make sure to remove all the bean coat until you are left with white coat-less beans.
Here’s how to peel beans in 5 minutes   If you have a good blender, you can grind the beans at this point, but if not, let the coat-less beans soak in water again for at least 2 hours to soften it further.
Tip: Most blender can blend the beans after the first soaking , so you may not need to soak the beans any further.
** If you’re using bean flour check step 1 below
**Now choose what extra garnishes you want to add to the Moimoi;If it’s eggs, boil the eggs, remove the shells and slice into small pieces, then set aside.If it’s fresh fish, boil the fish,remove bones  and cut into small pieces.
If you prefer corned beef or sardines, then take it out of the can, and set aside.

**Grease/Oil the containers you’ll be using.
If you prefer Banana Leaves/ Uma Leaves(Thaumatococcus Daniellii), then wash thoroughly and leave to dry out in a colander/sieve.**Wash the peppers and slice the onions.Now to cook the Moi moi…1. Strain the beans, pour it into your blender(do this in batches).
Add the peppers(you can also add thick tomato paste, to give it more color).
Add the onions, crayfish and stock cubes.

Add a little water to help the blender work better. Grind the beans until you get a very smooth consistency, without granules or beans lumps.
  If you’re using bean flour, mix the flour in a little water to form a thick paste, then pour the paste into a blender,add the peppers,onions, crayfish and stock cubes and blend until smooth.Then go to step 2

2. Pour the blended beans into a wide bowl;Stir and slowly add some water and continue stirring until you get a lighter consistency, but not too watery.*Now, add the vegetable oil, taste for salt and if need be, add a little salt(remember you already added stock cubes, so go easy on the salt).

Mix thoroughly and then take out your greased moi moi containers or moi moi leaves.3. Pour the mixture into each of the containers and add your egg or any other garnishes you prefer. Seal or cover the containers and set aside.4. Now, line the base of your pot with foil paper or the some moi moi leaves;
Pour in some water and set to boil. When the water is boiling, place the sealed Moi moi into the pot of boiling water and leave to steam.

5. As the Moi moi starts to cook. Add a little quantity of water from time to time,so that it doesn’t begin to burn underneath.
But be careful not to add to much water as it might get into the Moi moi containers and ruin the food by making it watery.
 6. After about 45 minutes, put a knife through the Moi Moi; if the knife comes out clean, then the moi moi is ready. Note that the cooking time for Moi Moi depends on the type of container you are using and also on the quantity of moi moi you are cooking(5 pieces of Moi moi in a small pot, will definitely cook faster than 30 pieces of moimoi in a large pot).    If you are in doubt about whether the Moi moi is well cooked or not; it is advisable to leave it to cook for about 1 hour 30 minutes(adding some water occasionally). The moi moi tends to cook faster with the foil, nylons and leaves, but takes longer with the plastic bowl.7. Now , take out the Moi moi from the pot and leave to cool a bit before unwrapping or turning it onto a plate. Enjoy!

Tip: A steamer is great for cooking Moi moi.
 Another cool way to steam wrapped Moi moi  without dipping it in water, is by placing it into a metal colander or sieve, then place the colander inside a large pot that has a little water in it.Make sure the colander isn’t touching the water. Cover the pot and leave to cook. You can add a little water from time to time as  the water evaporates.

How to Make Nigerian Moi Moi,

Nigerian Moi Moi can be enjoyed alone or with any Nigerian Rice Recipes and  a chilled drink.

By Nky Lily Lete

May 30, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Thɑnks ѵery nice blog!

2. rockie emmanuel
    December 5, 2017 / 7:33 am

thank u for helping me do my assignment im a homec student in jss3

3. Precious
    November 6, 2017 / 4:27 am

Pls ma my moimoi comes out hard after cooling pls what i do to make a soft moimoi cos i prefer it dat way

November 6, 2017 / 4:26 am

Thanks ma. Pls my moimoi comes out too hard after cooling nd i don't like it. How can i make a soft moimoi

5. Csasenkosi
    April 8, 2017 / 10:19 am

hie am a south african and am married to a nigerian man, my husband love his food so i really need to lean how to cook nigerian meals,pliz i need your help, videos and recipes

6. ogechi eze
    January 10, 2017 / 12:48 pm

Hi nky does the water suppose to cover moi moi in the cooking pot

October 31, 2016 / 7:30 am

Enter your comment…all thanks to you dearie..you helped me out in my assignment today

October 7, 2016 / 1:04 pm

Nky thanks for this recipe..it has given me confidence to start cooking Nigerian meals again.. your explanations are detailed and easy to follow God bless you…

9. Treasure(a k a SEKODUN)
    October 4, 2016 / 1:53 am

Enter your comment…u at indeed weldone may God strengthening uplis ow many gram/derica tin of beans will be okay for 30guest,plus I need 2 know b4 Friday thnks .

June 19, 2016 / 7:36 pm

ma'm thanks alot, but I got a problem, the one in the displayed image above, i mean the beans in the blender, how many gram of beans are in it.

11. yazii
    April 18, 2016 / 5:30 pm

I totally love your recipes ! Today i want to try making some moi moi,(wish me luck :s) but i have 2 questions,i want to use fish but what is the type of fish i can use and what if i can't get grounded crayfish what can i use instead ?? I am from México city. Thank youu 🙂

12. yazii
    April 18, 2016 / 5:30 pm

13. Tomiwa
    January 6, 2016 / 10:47 am

I cooked Moimoi this morning and its finishing came out inch perfect. My family members most especially my younger sister still can figure out how I did the cooking. Thanks Nky. #GUYS CAN COOK TOO?# Enter your comment…

January 9, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment Tomiwa, and yes #GUYS CAN COOK TOO 🙂

14. mercy chima
    September 5, 2015 / 6:49 am

Thank you Nky for making me the best cook. God bless you. More grace to you.

September 13, 2015 / 1:16 pm

You're welcome hun 🙂

15. Obiageli Chukumah
    August 19, 2015 / 5:55 pm

How long do you think it would take using a pressure cooker

August 19, 2015 / 11:01 pm

About 20 to 25 minutes.

16. Sally
    June 15, 2015 / 9:41 am

Sis , you are a God sent! The way you reply to comments is encouraging.my problem is that here in India i can't get tatashi pepper to give my moi moi a bit color,what do i do?

June 16, 2015 / 4:48 pm

Hi Sally dear, you can make use of tin tomato paste( like de rica), to give it color. You'll see that I used it in mine(see picture in step 1).Let me know how it goes 🙂

17. Nkeiru
    June 4, 2015 / 9:23 pm

Nky, thanks so much. You are my savior when it comes to preparing Nigerian food. I used to ask people how to do this, how to do that, but not anymore.. I just cooked moi moi today and it was good but not bright enough. I came straight to you sight and found out I can add tomato paste to make it brighter. Next time, it will be perfect. Thanks.

June 15, 2015 / 10:44 am

You're welcome dearie, I'm so glad to be of help By the way, you're my namesake 🙂

April 15, 2015 / 2:32 am