I love this fish stew because, you can prepare it with any type of fresh fish you have, although in Lagos state, most people prefer to cook with the Obokun fish (tilapia) or Catfish, Titus(Mackerel) but any fish will do just fine.
The Nigerian Fish stew is enjoyed with most staple Nigerian food, such as, boiled rice, boiled yams, boiled and fried plantains, beans recipes and a lot more. It is not unusual to see people add the fish stew to Nigerian soups or even take fufu meals with the fish stew in place of soup.
Well, Here’s the recipe,Enjoy!
If you like watching videos, here’s a video recipe for the Nigerian Fresh fish stew, showing you step by step, how to cook it 🙂
Ingredients for Nigerian Fresh Fish Stew
– 1kg Fresh Tomatoes or canned tomato puree(the watery type)
– 500ml Vegetable Oil(read recipe to see how to re-use the oil)
– 300g Fresh fish(any fresh fresh fish will do)
– 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions– 5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
– 2 stock cubes
– Thyme and curry (1 teaspoon each)
– Salt to taste and 1 leaf of laurel(Bay leaf)
Quick note: you do not have to use that much oil to fry the stew. But if you like to use stew oil in other recipes, then go ahead and use that much(see how to do that below)
* First blend the tomatoes, peppers and onions. If you are making use of the thick tomato paste, simply dilute it a bit in little water and set aside.
* Pour the blended tomatoes into a pot and let it boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.
*In another pot, add the cleaned cut fresh fish ,add a little water, thyme, curry ,1 stock cube and salt to taste.Parboil for 2 minutes , this helps to toughen the skin of the fish and get the fish tasty.You can also marinate the fish with these spices overnight or for about 1 hour, if you’ll rather not parboil the fish.After 2 minutes, take out the fish from the pot and reserve the liquid(fish stock).
* Now, heat up the vegetable oil, add some onions(optional, because the blended tomatoes already has onions). Add the dried tomatoes, the diluted tinned tomatoes(derica) and the bay leaf and fry for about 25 minutes or until the tomato loses it’s sour taste. Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
*Add the fish stock and cook for 10 minutes.
*Next, add the parboiled fish, stock cube and salt to taste. Cover and leave to simmer until the fish is properly cooked. Now the Nigerian Fish Stew is ready.Enjoy.
***When the stew cools down a bit, scoop out the excess oil, pour into a bottle and preserve in the fridge. This fish stew oil, can be used for Nigerian soups, stew, beans recipes and yam recipes too.
The Nigerian Fish Stew is used for eating Boiled rice, boiled and fried yams, plantain recipes and beans recipes. Enjoy!
Nigerian Fresh Fish Stew
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Mixed Vegetable Sauce
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin(buka stew) : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete