Ogbono Soup or Draw Soup, is a popular Nigerian soup recipe made with Ogbono Seeds(wild African bush mango seeds). This is one of the first soup given to kids when trying to introduce them to Nigerian soups.
Ogbono soup has a mucilaginous (slimy) texture, similar to okra soup. I like to cook mine with vegetables,and sometimes combine it with melon(egusi) seeds to get what is called Ogbono with Egusi soup. But it is also common to see Ogbono soup cooked without vegetables. So whatever choice you make, here's an easy recipe for you to try...Enjoy.
**video recipe here
• Assorted Meat and Fish: (could be a mixture of any of these :Beef, cowfoot, Shaki(tripe),Ponmo(cow skin) DryFish & Stock Fish)
• 2-3 Cooking spoonful Palm Oil
• Vegetable :Spinach OR Pumpkin leaves(ugu) OR Bitter leaf(onugbu)..or a mixture of bitter leaf and Ugwu
•Crayfish(as you like it)
•1 Onion bulb
•2 stock cubes (seasoning cubes)
•Chilli Pepper or scotch bonnet(atarodo) (to taste)
• salt (to taste)
Cooking Directions for Ogbono Soup
**If you bought Whole ogbono seeds, Grind them thoroughly using a dry mill or a good blender or coffee grinder.
** Wash, season and cook the assorted meat, dry fish & stock fish with onions, stock cube and salt to taste.Cook until tender.
**Slice the vegetables,Grind the pepper and set aside
Now to cook the Ogbono Soup...
* Heat up the red palm oil in a clean dry pot until hot. You can add minced onions if you like(adding onions is optional).
*Now, put off the heat and add the ground Ogbono into the hot oil.
Dissolve the ogbono by pressing with the back of your spoon and stirring constantly .
*Add more of the meat stock or water and leave to boil for 10 minutes; Stir the soup constantly so that it does not burn at the bottom.
Then add the cooked dry fish, stock fish, assorted meat , stock cube, pepper, the ground crayfish and salt to taste.
Mix well , cover and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes, you should check on it and stir the soup constantly to prevent burning.
*At this stage , you will notice the change in the aroma of the soup. Stir and add the shredded spinach or ugu (fluted pumpkin leaves)
Simmer for 1-2 minute and put of the heat.Now your Ogbono soup is ready.
Ogbono soup is usually served hot with any Nigerian bolus meal, such as Eba, Fufu, Pounded Yam, Tuwo Masara, Wheat meal or Semolina...Enjoy!
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete