Nigerian Sausage rolls is extra tasty, delish and
loaded with a rich sausage filling and tantalizing spices
|Nigerian Sausage Rolls|
How to Make Nigerian Sausage Rolls
Nigerian Sausage rolls ranges from the trade marked products such as Gala®, Bigi®, and Super bite® .
These sausage rolls are popular in most major cities in Africa and usually sold by street hawkers during traffic jams.
Apart from the trademarked ones, sausage rolls are also sold at eateries and restaurants.
But no matter what type of sausage roll you buy, Nigerian sausage rolls usually contains a beef or pork filling and
is simply delicious.
I have various tried and tested recipes for sausage roll, but here’s how to make a classic tasty Gala-like sausage rolls.
Ingredients you’ll need for Nigerian Sausage Rolls
For the dough
- 250g All purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoonful Baking Powder
- 100g Margarine or butter
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Cool Water(as needed)
- 1 raw medium-sized egg(for coating the rolls)
For the sausage rolls filling you’ll need
- 200g of minced or ground sausage meat
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground Nutmeg
- 1 stock cube or 1 tablespoon full stock powder
Nigerian Sauage rolls Preparation
- First grind the sausage meat. Add nutmeg, black pepper and crumbled stock cube/powder. Mix thoroughly to get all the spices in. Set aside
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and add the margarine or melted butter. Mix well by rubbing the margarine into the flour; Continue mixing until the mixture looks like bread crumbs or garri.
- Now add a little water, bit by bit, until you get a non-sticky smooth dough.
- Break and egg, whisk it and set aside.
- Grease or line a baking tray and set aside.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured table and knead for 5 minutes.
7. Cut out a bit of the dough and using a rolling pin,roll the dough flat (but not too flat). Then cut out the dough to form a rectangular shape and place some of the spiced sausage meat on the dough and fold the dough.
8. Now cut the rolled dough into two or more equal sizes (depending on the length of the sausage you want). Place the sausages in the greased/lined tray and repeat the process for the remaining dough.
9. Now bake in the Oven at 170º C/ 375 F for 35 minutes or until the sausage rolls are lightly browned.
Nigerian Sausage Rolls are usually enjoyed with a chilled drink or yogurt.
By Nky Lily Lete