Nigerian Meat Pie Frequently asked Questions

Nigerian Meat Pie recipe is a very easy one to follow , but when done wrong, it can be really disheartening for the baker. So here are some FAQ’s that can help you, if anything goes wrong.

And Here’ the Nigerian Meat Pie recipe if you don’t have it already

Nigerian meat pie is simply yummy
Nigerian Meat Pie…Yuuuuummy!

Question 1: My Nigerian Meat Pie always comes out dry , crusty and very cracked, what did I do wrong?

Answer 1a: There could be so many reasons why your Nigerian Meat pie came out dry.

-It could be that you did not make use of enough margarine as stated in the recipe.The amount of margarine used should be equivalent in ratio to that of plain flour you are using(that is 2:1).

-If you use 500 grams of plain flour, your margarine should be 250 grams

-If you use less, like 250 grams of plain flour, your margarine should be 125 grams and the same goes for higher quantities too.

-If you make use of 1000 grams(1kg) of plain flour, then your margarine should be 500 grams.

1b-Another common cause of a hard Meat Pie is heat. While making Nigerian Meat Pie, it is advisable to put
the oven temperature between 170ºC to 200 ºC(335F to 400F)

And also check the meat pies from time time. This is because the heating capacity of various ovens differ and by checking it you would know whenthe meat pies begin to harden and brown. Make sure you take them out of the oven the moment it is ready and leave to cool outside not in the oven.

Question 2:  Is it necessary to add  the flour you mixed in the  cup?
Answer 2: The flour mixed in the cup, helps to bind the filling togetherand keeps it moist while baking, but you can omit it if you want to. You can also use cheese as a substitute.

Question 3: Can I make use of whole milk in place of water when making Nigerian Meat pie crust or pastry?
Answer 3: Yes you can, because whole milk is made up of about 85% water.So feel free to use whole milk in your Nigerian meat pie pastry.

Question 4 : What is the best temperature for baking meat pie?
Answer 4:  I always recommend oven temperature between 170ºC to 200 ºC(335F to 400F), but note that the heating capacity of various ovens differ, so check your meat pies from time to time.

Question 5 : My Nigerian meat pie isn’t dry, but it used to burst open when it is ready. Why is that?
Answer 5: This might be due to 2 reasons
First : It could be that you rolled out the dough too thin before adding the filling. A thin dough will tighten as you bake and then crack open.
Another reason is adding too much filling to the Meat pie dough.

Hope these tips were helpful. More questions and answers will be added as they come in, so feel free to ask any auestions about preparing Nigerian Meat pie and I’ll do my best in answering it.

Also check on the comment section below, you might find out that your questions has already been answered 🙂

Here’s the Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe

And below is a detailed video showing you step by step, how to make Nigerian Meat pie…Enjoy!

Here are other recipes you
will surely love:

♥ We love your comments , leave one below♥

1. Amaka
    October 16, 2018 / 6:56 pm

thank you so much for all the information you are giving out here, i have learnt a lot. please i will like to know how the meatpie dough can be preserved and for how long. I overestimated my quantities and ended up with excess dough. i am not ready to use it and i will not like to throw it away. thanks in anticipation.

• October 22, 2018 / 9:25 am

Hi Amaka,
      The meat pie dough can be stored in the refrigerator(fridge) for up to three days
      or in the freezer for up to three months.

2. Anny
    September 27, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Hi Nk, I read from ur response above that I can replace butter with vegetable oil. Pls whats the ratio of butter to veg oil when substituting?

• October 22, 2018 / 9:45 am

Hi Anny,
      For Nigerian meat pie it’s better to make use of butter or margarine, but in their absence use two-third of the quantity vegetable oil; that’s if the recipe calls for 250g of Butter/margarine, make use of approximately 167ml of vegetable oil, more or less, until you get that crumbly feel as described in the meatpie recipe.

September 27, 2018 / 2:49 pm

Hi Nk, I read from ur response above that I can replace butter with vegetable oil. Pls whats the ratio of butter to oil when substituting?

4. Peter
    April 28, 2018 / 9:35 am

Hi Nky. Please what could cause the crust to significantly lose shape , look dull with a dark uninviting texture after baking ? If you don't mind,I could send a picture to your email to be more descriptive. Thanks

February 11, 2018 / 5:23 pm

Pls ma, my meat pie always come out hard despite the fact that I used ratio 2:1 and salty too. What can I do?

6. Unknown
    February 11, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Pls ma,My meat pie always come out hard despite the fact that I used ratio 2:1 and salty too. What can I do?

7. Honestly truthful
    December 23, 2017 / 10:00 am

I have made lots of meat pie.can I keep some in the freezer?

8. akinwole adeolu
    December 21, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Please NKY what could be the cause of dark meat pie? Thanks in advance

9. Akin
    December 21, 2017 / 7:34 am

Please NKY what could be the cause of dark meat pie? Thanks in advance

10. mercie
    September 17, 2017 / 3:01 pm

hi, i followed you recipe the first time and it was awesome. i was proud of myself and now i ve a small business going, however i did today and it was all cracked n its not sth you would wanna sell. where did i go wrong? is it too much water? cos my dough wasnt thin at all. help

July 9, 2017 / 10:05 am

Pls Nk, can meatpie fillings be kept in the freezer for a long time before using?

July 6, 2017 / 10:38 pm

Please what brand of magarine can I use for meatpie?and what part of meat can I use? because I like to grind my beef. Thanks

13. ST
    July 4, 2017 / 7:07 pm

hi, will like to know if i can use same dough for fish pie, egg roll, fish roll etc

14. Ebube Pauline
    May 10, 2017 / 9:27 am

Pls what could be the cause of meat pie not rising after baking?

15. Pastor Nnamdi Obisike
    January 2, 2017 / 7:03 pm

Nky happy new year

December 5, 2016 / 2:41 pm

Welldone Nky. Pls my meatpie comes out flat after baking, what could be the cause and possible solution. Thank you

17. aycan yılmaz
    November 5, 2016 / 9:12 am

Pls how can i use pot in baking meat pie

August 31, 2016 / 9:42 am

Thank you Lily, your question and answer blog has really given me understanding on how to bake meatpie. I like people who are ever ready to share freely. Please keep it up, I love you!

November 22, 2016 / 5:16 pm