Tiger nuts have been around for hundreds of years and even though it is abundant in Nigeria, only a few people know of the health benefits of this wonderful nuts.
Tiger nuts are actually small ”tuber-like” nuts and tastes like coconut but with a stronger ”nutty” flavor.
As a kid, I enjoyed eating it in combination with roasted groundnut… a yummy combo made in heaven!..oh! lovely memories!
Without further ado, here are the health benefits of Tiger nuts (ofio)
1. Tiger Nuts are a good source of protein, carbohydrate , vitamins
(Vitamin B, C and E ) and minerals(calcium, copper,zinc,
potassium,iron and zinc.)
2. It contains calcium, which are great for strong bones and healthy tissues.
3. Tiger Nuts contains anti-inflammatory properties, and are great
for people with arthritis and colitis.
4. Tiger Nuts help to get rid of gas and soothes the gastrointestinal tract.
5. Tiger nuts contains heart friendly oils which have similar health
benefits as olive oil.
6. Tiger Nuts works as a diuretic and helps to cure constipation.
7. Tiger nuts milk can be used as a good substitute for cow’s milk,
and good for anyone with lactose intolerance, because it does not
contain lactose or fructose.
8. Tiger nut milk made without added sugars is great for diabetic
patients, because it contains Arginine, a hormone that produces
9. Due to it’s high fiber and protein content, it is also great for
10. Tiger nut flour are great substitute for bread crumbs, but with
more health benefits than bread crumbs.
Extra: Tiger nuts are also known as yellow nutsedge, cyperus esculentus or chufas.