Making Plantain Pancakes is another way to use up overripe (black)plantains, but you can also make use of the ripe (yellow) ones too.
Plantains are rich in minerals(potasium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous), Vitamins(A, B6 and C) and fiber and taste really good.
I love plantains and can eat it all day 🙂
Plantain pancakes are simply delicious and I’m sure you’ll enjoy them too.
Ingredients for Plantain Pancakes
Makes about 16-20 pancakes
– 2 Ripe/overipe Plantains
– 200 gr Plain Flour or Wheat flour
– 2 raw Eggs
– 2 to 3 tablespoonful evaporated milk or powdered milk or condensed milk
– 1to 2 Tablespoonful Sugar
– 100ml Water (more or less)
– Chili pepper or Scotch bonnet(atarodo) (to taste)
– 1 tablespoonful Onions (minced)(to taste)
– A pinch of Salt
– A pinch of grated nutmeg(optional)
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder or baking soda(to make it fluffy)
– 2 to 3 tablespoonful vegetable oil (for greasing the pan)
Tip: you can substitute the water in the recipe for whole milk
* Mash the plantains until smooth and without lumps
To get a smooth consistency, you can puree in a blender or mix the mashed plantains thoroughly with a little water, pass it through a tight sieve and mash any lumpy plantains with a spoon.
*Break the eggs into a wide bowl,add the milk,sugar and mashed or blended plantains, mix together using a whisk or a fork.
* Add the grated nutmeg(optional), the minced onions, pepper and salt.
* Gradually sift in the baking soda and flour and keep on whisking. The mixture would begin to thicken and look lumpy.
Leave the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
Tip: Note that the lighter you make the batter, the thinner the pancakes will turn out.
* Pour a little oil on a pan, enough to grease the pan; spread the oil with a brush to grease the whole surface and heat up until hot.
Tip: A non-stick pan is highly recommended for this.
* Using a ladle(soup spoon), scoop up some of the pancake batter and pour into the hot pan.
Gently tilt the pan, so that the batter can evenly coat the surface of the pan.
* Cook one side of the Pancake (on low heat) for a few seconds; as you begin to see air bubbles and the sides of the pancake turning dark;flip over and cook the other side.
Repeat this process for the remaining pancake batter. Always grease the pan before use.
Serve and Enjoy!
Tip : You can also puree all the ingredients in a blender and cook as written above.
Plantain Pancake can be enjoyed as a snack with a chilled drink or as a breakfast/dinner meal with a cool/hot beverage.