Nigerian Pancake Recipe: How to Make Nigerian Pancake

How to Make Nigerian Pancake ,Nigerian Pancake
Nigerian Pancake with homemade raisin syrup&cream cheese

Nigerian Pancake is quite different from the regular pancake. The ingredients consist of sugar, pepper and onion, which gives the pancake a sweet, slightly spicy and savory taste, that will keep you asking for more.     During my varsity years,there was a ‘‘kitchen debate” among my flat mates on whether or not, onions and peppers were required in Pancakes;the first group would only use peppers in theirs’, while the other  group won’t have pancakes without onions; at the end it was finally concluded that these two ingredients (when added to your taste) are what really gives the Nigerian Pancake it’s distinct taste.
I always use both and my pancakes come out irresistible; you should try it out. Here’s an easy recipe, you’ll surely love. Enjoy!

Ingredients for Nigerian Pancake

Nigerian Pancake ingredients

– 125 gr Plain Flour- 2 raw Eggs- 200ml whole milk OR 120ml evaporated milk OR 3tablesponful powdered milk- 100ml Water (more or less)- 2 tablespoonful Butter/margarine (melted) or vegetable oil- 4 tablespoonful Sugar(more or less)- Chilli pepper or Scotch bonnet(atarodo)  (to taste)- 1 tablespoonful Onions (minced)(to taste)- 1/4 teaspoon Salt- A pinch of Nutmeg(optional)- 1-2 tablespoonful vegetable oil (for greasing the pan)* If you’re using evaporated milk, you’ll need about 200 ml water, if you’re using powdered milk, dissolve in 300ml water.*To mince the onion, you can pound it OR grate whole onions with the small sides of the grater or blend until smooth in a dry mill/blender.* Baking powder is not necessary in Nigerian pancake but if you want to add it for more fluff, then go ahead and add 1 tablespoonful of baking powder.

**Watch How to Make Nigerian Pancake in video below***

Preparation* Break the eggs into a wide bowl, add the melted butter and sugar; Cream(mix) together using a whisk or wooden spatula.
* Add the minced onions, pepper, salt, nutmeg and the milk. Whisk Thoroughly.
* Gradually add the flour and keep on whisking. The mixture would begin to thicken and look lumpy.
* Then,gradually add the water and continue stirring until the pancake batter is smooth with a runny consistency.

How to prepare Nigerian Pancake

Tip: The lighter you make the batter, the thinner the pancakes will turn out
* Place a little oil on a pan (preferable a non-stick pan), spread the oil with a brush to grease the whole surface and heat up until hot.
* Using a ladle(soup spoon), scoop up some of the pancake batter and pour into the hot pan.
  Gently tilt the pan, so that the batter can evenly coat the surface of the pan.
* Cook one side of the Pancake for 30 seconds, then flip over and cook the other side. Tip : if you are in a hurry , use an electric whisk or pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.

how to prepare Nigerian Pancake

Repeat this process for the remaining pancake batter. Serve and Enjoy!

Nigerian Pancake Recipe: How to Make Nigerian Pancake

Nigerian Pancake is usually served as a snack with a chilled drink or as a breakfast meal with a cool/hot beverage.

1. Omo
    September 11, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Will mixing all d ingredients at once in a blender come out dsame way or as good as when u mix it manually?

May 8, 2017 / 6:00 pm

Done! Great evening snack. I Was bored so I decided to try this. You were so helpful. I followed your instructions and it came out nice. Thank you.

May 1, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe, I had always made pancakes with plenty milk and egg but no water and always wondered why if it was because I didn't add baking powder. I am so enlightened. Thanks

4. Nana
    April 12, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Please can I make the pancake without milk? I am lactose intolerant

April 12, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Please can I make the pancake without milk…I am lactose intolerant

6. Lade
    February 9, 2017 / 11:37 pm

Oh madam, I just found a new love next to my hubby…your blog. Your head dey there! Best pancake I've ever made & tasted

February 27, 2017 / 4:44 pm

Aww Lade, you are so sweet, and thanks for your lovely comment.

7. Trishberry
    February 9, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Wow i followed this completely, guess what it was rated best ever made pancake tonight

February 27, 2017 / 4:39 pm

Thanks for your lovely feedback hun,I'm glad you all enjoyed the pancake recipe and good to have you here 🙂

8. Salamatu Alhassan
    August 25, 2016 / 8:03 am

I think you should have an app. I'll get it asap

9. Akanimoh
    June 10, 2016 / 10:05 am

The eggs,sugar & butter how many hours will I use in creaming it please?

February 27, 2017 / 4:37 pm

For what recipe Akanimoh?

10. Nky Lily Lete
    February 10, 2016 / 12:18 pm

Yes you can, Obireh :), but the consistency of the batter and the final product will be oilier.Why not try 50 percent milk and 50 percent cream? you'll love it

• OBIREH ERHUVWU BEAUTY
      February 12, 2016 / 5:04 pm

Thanks alot, I actually made pancakes on Wednesday being the 5th of February. You need to see how the Russian guys in my hostel rushed the pancakes,meanwhile i was actually making the pancakes for myself and my Nigerian friends. Russians don't eat pepper but in this case they had no option and they really commended me. By the time they were through with eating, the pancakes were just remaining little, we had to manage naaaaa. But NKY do you know what? That was my 1st time of making pancakes and it came out well that everybody that ate really commended me. I actually used 12 spoonful of flour, little salt, water, Grounded dry pepper, Spring onions, onions,garlic and ginger, sugar, 3.2% of 200ml liquid milk (Russians are very conscious of fats, so their milk, mayonnaise and so many food items and ingredients have their fat percent, so you choose what you like). I will try the 50% milk and 50% cream out maybe by next week and give you the feedback. Thank God Moscow is a home of milk and cream. Besides the weekend food in Russia is actually pancakes. A weekend without pancakes in a Russian house is incomplete. I really fell in love with it. See you on more of cooking. Thanks alot for your couching.

June 7, 2016 / 6:01 pm

You did a great job dearieGlad to be of help 🙂

11. OBIREH ERHUVWU BEAUTY
    February 10, 2016 / 11:07 am

Can I make pancake with cream instead of milk

12. irene
    December 22, 2015 / 10:41 am

Aunty nky, u have turned me into a great cook a better mum and a perfect wife! Thank u so much may God continue to increase u!

December 29, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment and feedback Irene, I'm glad to be of help 🙂

13. tope
    September 16, 2015 / 8:59 pm

Thanks a lot. This really really helped. Turned out great. I was really hungry and tonight and it made my night. God bless u.

October 4, 2015 / 12:26 am

Thanks for your lovely feedback dearie 🙂

14. Vicky
    September 15, 2015 / 3:52 pm

I am so loving dis, pls how do I subscribe to ur site cos u are truly doing a great job in here.

October 4, 2015 / 12:29 am

thanks dear.There is a subscribe button at the top right corner of the website 🙂

15. Gbenga Adebayo
    July 12, 2015 / 7:49 pm

i think my mum made it with sweetcorn many years ago…Is that a Nono? I want to try making pancakes myself. Am a 31 yr old single guy

October 4, 2015 / 12:25 am

I have never tried with sweet corn, but if your mum made it that way and you enjoyed it, then it is not a nono 🙂

July 9, 2015 / 11:10 am

CAN I USE KETCHUP OR JAM TO EAT THE PANCAKE?

July 9, 2015 / 2:49 pm

Of course you can 🙂

July 7, 2015 / 7:38 pm

I have glued to this your site for days now and am so loving the recipes i ve seen thanks and may God bless you richly am going to try them out one after another #chioma#

July 9, 2015 / 3:49 pm

Good to have you here Chioma, do keep me updated on any recipe you try out .