The difference between Yamarita and the common fried yams (dun dun) is the egg and flour mix, which takes this easy meal to another level.
It is so easy to prepare, that you can make it as a snack or quick meal.
So moving on to the Yamarita recipe 🙂
++see recipe for Potafritas (egg coated sweet potato fries)++
My 4yr Old said,Yam-A-rita was coined from ”Yam A Frita(omitting the F) – frita means ”fried” in spanish 🙂
Ingredients for Yamarita | Dun Dun Oniyeri
* 1 small Yam tuber(the size depends on the number of people you’re serving)
In the absence of yams, the firm Sweet potatoes can also be used.
* 2 eggs
* 3 tablespoonful plain Flour
* 1 bouillon/stock cube/seasoning cube (crushed)(optional)
* Vegetable oil for frying the yams
* Ground pepper to taste
* Salt to taste
Here’s how to prepare the Yamarita sauce . You can choose to add canned sardines, fresh fish or ground beef/chicken.
* Wash the yams,peel off the skin and cut into thin rectangular slices
*Rinse and place in a pot; add enough water to cover the yams;add salt to taste and parboil for 10 minutes. Pour out the content into a sieve and set the yams aside, to cool a bit.
Tip: The yams should be firm and not tender. Remember that you’ll be frying it later.
This method is known as ”blanching”, you can test the firmness with a fork;the fork should NOT be able to pass through the yam slices.
The skin of the parboiled yam provides a ”clingy” surface for the egg and flour mixture.
* Next, break the eggs, add the ground pepper, crushed seasoning cube and salt to taste;whisk thoroughly and set aside.
Pour the flour into a small bowl. You can add a little seasoning into the flour(but it this is optional); mix well and set aside.
* Now, dip each of the cooled yam slices into the prepared bowl of egg mix and then into the flour. Turn over the yams to evenly coat it in flour.Make sure that the yams are well coated.Then transfer into a flat dish.
Tip: You can also do it vice versa; that is,dipping the yams in the flour then in the eggs or doing egg-flour-eggs.All methods work really good and would give you same result.
Another method is to use 2 ziplock bags;one for the egg mixture and the other for the flour.
My Hubby’s tip: If you are feeling lazy, mix the eggs,spices and flour together, add a little water and form a light batter. Dip the fries lightly and set aside.
* Heat up the vegetable oil until moderately hot and fry the
coated yams on medium heat, until both sides are golden brown.
+Click here for Potafritas (egg coated sweet potato fries) recipe+