Kunun Aya ,also known as Ofio Milk, is a nutritious and refreshing drink, made with Tiger nuts.
Tiger nuts are actually small tubers which are abundant in Northern Nigeria and known as ”ofio”, ” aki hausa” or ”Erunsha”.
It has lots of health benefits and the milk can be used as a substitute for the regular cow’s milk.
Kunun Aya (Tiger nuts Milk) is native to the Hausas’ in Nigeria and quite easy to prepare.
– 200gram Tiger nuts (Ofio/ aki hausa)
– 600 to 700ml cool water
– 1 teaspoon grated Ginger (optional)
– Honey or sugar (to taste)(optional)
Hint: Coconut and Dates (dabino/dabinu) is also added to Kunun Aya
– If you are using dried tiger nuts, wash and soak in water for 24 hours until the nuts are well hydrated (change the water from time to time, so that it doesn’t ferment).
If you’re using fresh tiger nuts,skip the soaking process.
– Pour out the water, rinse the nuts and place in a blender.
-Add the ginger and the cool water and blend thoroughly.
(the ginger is optional, but I add it for extra benefits)
– Pour through a sieve with a tight mesh and let the milk strain out.
Chill in the refrigerator, sweeten with honey or sugar and enjoy.
Tip: when left for some hours the milk will separate from the fat. But that’s not a problem. Simply mix together and enjoy.
**In Spain, Tiger nut Milk is known as Horchata de chufas**