Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup is one of the easiest Nigerian food to prepare. It is a bit spicy but undeniably, a delicious meal for any time of the day.
This delicious meal is also regarded by many, as a remedy for common cold and flu.
Below is an easy to follow recipe.Hope you Enjoy!
*Here’s a Video demonstration on How to Cook Nigerian Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup
Ingredients for Nigerian Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup
– 150grams Yam (you can use the hard sweet potato as a substitute)
– 500 grams Fresh Fish(You can use Catfish, Conger eel, Tilapia or any tasty fish of choice)
– 1 tablespoonful Ground Crayfish
– 1 medium onion (chopped)
– 1/2 Scotch bonnet Pepper( atarodo) (chopped)(use ground chili peppers as substitute)
– 1 tablespoonful pepper soup spice mix
– 1 tablespoonful chopped uziza leaves or Basil leaves (known as scent leaf,efirin or Nchuawun
– 1 seasoning/stock or Bouillon cube
– Salt to taste
* Slice the yams, peel the skin ,cut into cubes and wash thoroughly.
Place the yams into a pot, add enough water to cover the yams, add a level teaspoon of salt and leave to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then strain out the water and set aside.
* Now wash and cut the fish(if you have whole fish), then place in another pot, add water to almost the level of the fish. Add diced onions, seasoning cube and salt to taste.
Leave to boil for about 5 minutes . Be careful not to overcook the fish
* After 5 minutes, add the precooked yams,chopped peppers, ground crayfish,pepper soup spice and the chopped uziza leaves or Scent leaves.
Leave to simmer for 5 more minutes and your Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup.
Tip: I used dried uziza leaves and it came out nice. So feel free to use it if that’s what you have.