Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) with Chicken and Vegetables

Coconut Curry gravy, Coconut Curry Sauce
Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy)  served with Spaghetti (left), and Rice(right)

Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) is my ”go-to” sauce anytime.This sauce is nutritious, rich, tasty and simply delicious. I love to prepare mine with chicken and lots of vegetables, and it’s always a hit in family parties. Here’s how to prepare it .Coconut Curry Sauce Ingredients:
– 1 chicken thigh and drumstick( a whole chicken lap cut into smaller pieces)- 2 medium sized Carrot- 1 green bell pepper- 1 red bell pepper- 1 handful green Peas- 1 large Onion
– 2 tablespoonful Curry powder- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder(optional)- half teaspoon Thyme- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
– 3 stock cubes(seasoning cubes)
– chili pepper (to taste)
– 2 tablespoonful Corn Starch (the type used for making ogi/akamu).. you can use boiled potato puree as a substitute– One 14oz Can Coconut Milk( click to see how to extract coconut milk at home)- 2 tablespoonful Vegetable oil- Salt to taste
Tip: You can use less veggies if you want to.

Coconut Curry Sauce ,Coconut Curry gravy

+Here’s a video recipe on how to prepare Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) with Chicken &Vegetables

Preparation:1. Marinade the chicken pieces with the Curry powder,Thyme, chili pepper and one stock cube. Set aside for later use.2. If you haven’t done this yet.Grate the ginger,Peel and dice the carrots,then de-seed and cut the green&red bell pepper and onions.  Set aside for later use.3. Mix the coconut milk and corn starch together.4. Heat up the oil, add the chopped onion and garlic(if you’ll be using it);add the marinated chicken and stir fry to caramelize the onions and brown the chicken.

Coconut Curry gravy, Coconut Curry Sauce

5. Now, add the coconut milk and corn starch mixture and simmer until it thickens. Then add the chopped carrots, green&red bell pepper and green peas. Add the grated ginger and mix thoroughly.   If the sauce is too thick , add a little water, add the remaining stock cube and salt to taste. Leave to cook until the chicken is tender and the veggies are well cooked.

Coconut Curry gravy, Coconut Curry Sauce

Serve and enjoy with rice, pasta ,plantains or potatoes.Tip: The sauce will thicken further when it cools.

Coconut Curry gravy, Coconut Curry Sauce
Coconut curry sauce served with spaghetti
Coconut Curry gravy, Coconut Curry Sauce
Coconut curry sauce served with boiled rice

So what do you think? We love your comments ☺

Related Recipes

* All Rice Recipes

* How to cook Nigerian Fried Rice

* Nigerian Egg Fried Rice

How to Cook Nigerian Coconut Rice

* Nigerian Rice and Beans: How to cook Nigerian Jollof Rice and Beans

How to Parboil long grain white Rice(Nigerian  method)

Jollof Rice : How to Cook Nigerian Party Jollof Rice

By Nky Lily Lete

Please leave your comments, doubts, questions and success stories  below
☺Bon Appetit

September 19, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Can I use corn starch without the coconut milk?

2. hassan adeniyi
    July 30, 2017 / 12:14 pm

@ Nky….why cant i copy the write up from this website

3. chaka
    March 25, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Wow, i am going to prepare it for mothering Sunday tomorrow.

4. Judy
    November 30, 2016 / 2:15 am

Thank you very much. Hosting few friends very soon and will prepare this for them. God bless you.

February 1, 2016 / 6:49 am

Thanks Nky. Pls I have corn flour at home. Haven't used it before but it says it can be used to add thickness to all soups and can be used to make pap for kids. Can I use it? And the chicken. U don't get to boil it, do u? Just discovered this site. It's a wow. Thanks. N/B: I've tried using my name to comment. Isn't working. Pls don't ignore. (Nwachi)

March 18, 2016 / 6:29 am

Hi Nwachi, yes you can use it if it can be used to thicken soups and make pap for kids.And glad to have you here πŸ™‚

January 28, 2016 / 11:22 pm

Please ma, what can I use in replacement of corn Strach. I normally vomit when I drink pap. Please is there other alternatives to it. I really wanna try this sauce, infact I'm already salivating. Thanks in anticipation. You are really doing a great job.

January 28, 2016 / 11:21 pm

8. Tope
    December 17, 2015 / 10:05 am

I just want to be sure about the corn starch,I know you have given enough explanation about it,the cornstarch you said is used for making ogi that I know is not dry like d one in your picture, this particular one is always moist and water is always added ontop of it to preserve it,if u dnt mind

December 24, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Hi Tope, It's the same one , don't worry, you wont even notice the taste, it only helps to thicken the sauce πŸ™‚

December 17, 2015 / 9:56 am

According to your explanation on d corn starch,you said is the one used for ogi,the one is for ogi is not a dry one like the one in your picture,the one I know is not dried is always moist that you have to add water on it to always preserve it,I want to be sure so I wont spoil the recipe

10. Ruth Maxwell
    November 15, 2015 / 7:17 am

Just passing… and met this educating blog…. Love the looks of this recipe… hope it taste more than its beautiful look… I'm sure cooking this today!!

11. Bee
    November 6, 2015 / 12:32 pm

How is corn starch prepared

November 6, 2015 / 12:29 pm

How is corn starch prepared

13. Ifeoluwa Olatunbosun
    October 20, 2015 / 3:47 pm

Hi nky, I must confess your page is addictive! Been on it for hours now, anyways, is the coconut milk a necessity? Also, the liquid ogi mixture you said can be a sibstitute for cornstarch is the one that smell o, will that affect the taste or smell of the gravy?

14. Cleverliz
    July 16, 2015 / 5:50 am

This was the hit, I got thumps up and request for another meal. Very easy steps and amazing recipe, dig on! More palm oil to elbow

August 1, 2015 / 2:40 pm

LOL.. Abi o more palm oil to yours too dearie πŸ™‚ and I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe . Thanks for the lovely feedback.

15. Afi
    July 2, 2015 / 1:57 am

Hi Nky, I stumbled over ur utube video of Egusi soup n after watching that, l couldn't resist watching ur other videos, yes I'm hooked. God bless u plentyyy. I'm a Ghanaian n nvr tried Nija food b4 but after watching ur vids, @ least 1 of ur recipes every week n yes, they taste vry gooood. More grease to ur elbows, thank uuuu!

July 6, 2015 / 10:56 am

You're welcome and thanks so much for your lovely comment, you just made my day better, God bless πŸ™‚

June 24, 2015 / 7:18 am

Hi Nky, this looks soo amazing! Can't wait to try it out. I know a lot of people have asked about the corn starch, but I would like to know if I can use fresh ogi (the liquid one) because that's the one I have. Thanks

June 24, 2015 / 8:48 pm

yes you can use it dearie.

17. aisha jane
    March 25, 2015 / 7:44 am

I'm new here and yes I'm hooked. Weldone dear

March 25, 2015 / 9:09 am

Thanks hun and good to have you here πŸ™‚

18. amara nwandire
    March 5, 2015 / 12:15 pm

hi dear. i will try it out dis weekend. having a guest n hv benn thinking of something uniqu to prepare. hope it turns out well. tanks a lot

March 9, 2015 / 3:27 pm

I'll be expecting your feedback πŸ™‚

• amara nwandire
      March 11, 2015 / 10:54 am

It turned out wonderful. My hubby was so proud of me. I had to send d recipe to one of my guest as she couldn't resist d taste. Am glad I found dis site. Looking g forward to trying out some more stuff. Tanks dear

March 25, 2015 / 11:41 am

You're always welcome sweetie, thanks for the lovely feedback πŸ˜‰

19. ene anyogo
    March 3, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Ive been stalking this website for months now and ibam super excited to try out everything.the blogosphere here is sooo friendly and interactive.keep up the good work…

March 4, 2015 / 8:51 am

Thanks sweetie and good to have you here πŸ™‚

February 28, 2015 / 9:07 am

Thanks so much for this recipe…EVERYONE LOVED IT! I was supposed to make fried rice (and my fried rice is goooooood) but stumbled across this recipe and decided to give it a try instead. After the meal, someone was like, "thank God you didn't make fried rice"…that's how nice it was. Right now everyone's asking for the recipe. Thanks again.

March 1, 2015 / 6:55 pm

I'm glad you all enjoyed it, thanks for your lovely feedback dearie πŸ™‚

21. Esther S
    February 12, 2015 / 9:21 am

Nice job!!! i will like to know if i can include prawns and also it is better i include it in the vegetable sauce or in the rice? if yes @ what stage can i include the prawns. Am planning on making this meal on valentine day. Thanks

February 12, 2015 / 10:54 am

Yes dear, you can add fresh peeled prawns and it will be great in the sauce , so that it can absorb some of the sweet taste of the sauce. You can add it after adding the coconut milk mixture.

February 12, 2015 / 9:20 am