|Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) served with Spaghetti (left), and Rice(right)|
Coconut Curry Sauce (gravy) is my ”go-to” sauce anytime.This sauce is nutritious, rich, tasty and simply delicious. I love to prepare mine with chicken and lots of vegetables, and it’s always a hit in family parties. Here’s how to prepare it .
Coconut Curry Sauce Ingredients:
– 1 chicken thigh and drumstick( a whole chicken lap cut into smaller pieces)
– 2 medium sized Carrot
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 handful green Peas
– 1 large Onion
– 2 tablespoonful Curry powder
– 1 teaspoon Garlic powder(optional)
– half teaspoon Thyme
– 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
– 3 stock cubes(seasoning cubes)
– chili pepper (to taste)
– 2 tablespoonful Corn Starch (the type used for making ogi/akamu).. you can use boiled potato puree as a substitute
– One 14oz Can Coconut Milk( click to see how to extract coconut milk at home)
– 2 tablespoonful Vegetable oil
– Salt to taste
Tip: You can use less veggies if you want to.
1. Marinade the chicken pieces with the Curry powder,Thyme, chili pepper and one stock cube. Set aside for later use.
2. If you haven’t done this yet.Grate the ginger,Peel and dice the carrots,then de-seed and cut the green&red bell pepper and onions. Set aside for later use.
3. Mix the coconut milk and corn starch together.
4. Heat up the oil, add the chopped onion and garlic(if you’ll be using it);add the marinated chicken and stir fry to caramelize the onions and brown the chicken.
5. Now, add the coconut milk and corn starch mixture and simmer until it thickens. Then add the chopped carrots, green&red bell pepper and green peas. Add the grated ginger and mix thoroughly.
If the sauce is too thick , add a little water, add the remaining stock cube and salt to taste. Leave to cook until the chicken is tender and the veggies are well cooked.
Serve and enjoy with rice, pasta ,plantains or potatoes.
Tip: The sauce will thicken further when it cools.
|Coconut curry sauce served with spaghetti|
|Coconut curry sauce served with boiled rice|
So what do you think? We love your comments ☺
* All Rice Recipes
By Nky Lily Lete
Please leave your comments, doubts, questions and success stories below