|Nigerian Seafood Pepper Soup|
Seafood pepper soup is a rich, healthy and light meal, enjoyable any time of the year, but most especially, during the colder seasons.
The weather was cold today, therefore a hot spicy soup was a big welcome.
For this seafood pepper soup I only made use of fish, shrimps, crayfish and sea snails, which was what I had in my freezer today, but I have to admit that the more seafood you use, the richer and tastier, the soup will be, so feel free to indulge.
You can also add yams, unripe plantains or potatoes, to make you feel fuller longer.
Here’s my simple recipe, hope you enjoy.
+++Nigerian Seafood Pepper soup +++
– 1 medium sized Tilapia/Catfish or your favorite lower-fat fish
(I used 2 small sized Tilapia)
– 150 g Fresh Shrimps
– 150 g Sea Snails (or periwinkles)
– 1 tablespoonful of ground dried Crayfish
– 2 spoonful Ground pepper soup spice mix(see how to make it)
– Habanero/Chili Pepper/ (to taste)
– 1 tablespoonful Uziza/basil leaves(nchawun/efirin) (optional)
– 1 large Stock cube /1 tablespoon seasoning powder
– 1 medium Onion bulb(chopped)
– Salt , to taste
– Water (as needed)
+ You can also make use of oysters, crabs, lobster, mussel, squid, scallops, clams or any other seafood but be aware that the cooking time will differ, depending on your seafood of choice.
+ If you want a more filling soup, add some unripe plantains, yam or potato to the soup
+ Crayfish is also a seafood, so feel free to add it whole without grinding.
1.a If you don’t have the pre- packaged pepper soup spices, you can easily prepare your own pepper soup spices by following our recipe HERE.
b. Clean the fresh shrimps, remove the shell and veins(the black line on the backbone) and set aside.
c. Precook the sea snails in salted water for 5 to 10 minutes, strain and set aside. If using periwinkles, no need to precook, simply rinse thorougly and set aside for later use.
Wash the fish thoroughly and cut into
Now to prepare the seafood pepper soup
2. Place the fish pieces into a pot, add enough water to slightly cover the fish, add onions, pepper, stock cube and salt to taste. Parboil for 5 to 10 minutes .
Then add a little water, add the boiled snails/periwinkles, cleaned shrimps ground or whole crayfish and the ground pepper soup spices, mix gently and cook until all the seafood are done cooking(takes about 10 minutes more or less).
Tip: the type of fish or seafood you use, will determine the cooking time.
3. Finally, add the uziza or basil leaves and leave to simmer for 30 seconds.
Serve hot and enjoy.
Nigerian Seafood Pepper Soup can be enjoyed as a meal or served accompanied with Eko (agidi), boiled plantains, Agidi jollof, Baguette bread, boiled yams, rice or potatoes.
You can also check out other Nigerian pepper soup recipes, which includes; Catfish Pepper Soup(point & kill) , Goat meat pepper soup, Assorted meat pepper soup ,Yam&dried fish pepper soup and Yam &fresh fish pepper soup.
So what do you think, are you up for some pepper soup 🙂