Minced Meat and Cabbage Stew
Minced meat and cabbage stew is a tomato based stew you’ll surely enjoy. It is a sauce that brings back a lot of good memories, because it is one of my mum’s favorite.
It is also quite easy to prepare and goes well with boiled rice, Spaghetti, yams, plantains and the likes.
Ingredients for Minced meat and Cabbage Stew
– 1 small sized Cabbage
– 300 grams boneless beef or Chicken or Corned beef
– 5 large fresh tomatoes OR 400 grams tomato puree
– 2 tablespoonful thick Tomato paste(optional)
– 1 small scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo(to taste)
– 1 red bell pepper/tatashe(optional)
– 1 onion bulb(chopped)
– 100ml Vegetable oil
– 2 stock cubes/2 tablespoonful seasoning powder
– 1\2 teaspoon garlic powder(optional)
– 1\2 teaspoon Thyme or Oregano
– 1\2 teaspoon Curry powder
Note: in place of the tomatoes and peppers, you can use any tomato based stew as an alternative.
A. If you haven’t done this yet, mince the beef or chicken or in a grind in a blender.
B. Slice the cabbage to tiny strips, wash thoroughly with running water and strain in a sieve.
1. Heat up a spoonful of the oil in a small pot; add the chopped onions and garlic powder, stir-fry a bit and then add the minced meat.
Stir-fry the mixture for 2 minutes or until it changes from it original color.
2. Now add a little water, add the sliced cabbage, thyme, curry, 1 stock cube and salt to taste. Mix well and leave to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the meat is done.
Put of the heat and set aside.
3. If you don’t have tomato stew, then blend the tomatoes and peppers together;pour into a pot and dry out excess liquid from the tomato puree.
Heat up the remaining oil in a pot, add the dried out tomato+pepper puree and fry a bit; then dilute the tomato paste with a spoonful of water and add to the pot.
Mix well and continue frying for about 15 minutes or until the oil rises to the top of the stew. Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
4. Now, add the meat and cabbage mixture, taste for seasoning and salt, adjust if necessary. Stir well and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Put off the heat, serve and enjoy with boiled rice, fried plantain or any meal you like.