Easy Fruit Cake (Nigerian Christmas Fruit Cake)

Easy Fruit Cake (Nigerian Christmas Cake), nigerian cake, christmas fruit cake, xmas cake, xmas fruit cake

Nigerian Cake is rich and dense and this fruit cake is not far from it. It is a fruity and richer variation of the classic Nigerian Cake and usually a big favorite at Christmas parties.
Here how to prepare it:

Fruit Cake Ingredients :

This recipe makes a well risen Loaf Pan 8.5×2.75x4.5 deep Cake.

– 250 grams (about 2 cups) Plain Flour /All purpose flour
– 250 grams Butter (at room temperature)
– 4  Eggs (at room temperature)
– 170 grams Sugar
– 11⁄4 tablespoonful Baking powder
– 1 tablespoonful flavor (vanilla or butterscotch flavor)
½ cup Brandy or Rum
1⁄4 cup Browning(see how to make cake browning)
– 1 handful mixed Dry fruits (raisins,sultanas,currants,cherries)
– 1 teaspoon citrus peels(orange, lemon or grapefruit peel)
½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg & Cinnamon (for extra flavor)

Notes:
– Raisins, sultanas and currants are all different varieties of dried grapes, so feel free to make use of a combination of all or any one you can find.

– I didn’t use cherries for this cake, but you can if you want to.
– The citrus peels can be of either orange, lemon or grapefruit or a combination of the three.
– I also used oldenburger butter, you can get it at all big supermarkets, like shop rite and Park n Shop, at the fridge section.

butter for baking cakes in Nigeria

Preparation:

A. Soak the fruits and citrus peels in the alcohol for up to 1month or at least 3 days. But if you are in a hurry to make the cake, you can boil it in a pot for 10mins with 2 tablespoonful of sugar and
1⁄4 cup water; strain and place in a bowl, then add the alcohol and leave to cool to room temperature and set aside.
Tip: if you’ll rather not use alcohol, simply use the boiled fruits after straining and at room temperature.

B. Prepare the pan by lightly greasing
the insides of the pan with butter and then dusting with flour. This
will prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.

C.  Preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 150ºC or the 300ºF mark.

Steps

1. In a wide bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.

2. In a separate bowl or cake mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy, then add the
sugar and continue creaming until it goes from grainy to fluffy again.

3.  Break the eggs into a bowl and gradually add it to the butter-sugar mix , as you continue to cream.

4.  Add the browning, flavor and alcohol soaked fruits.

5. Gradually add the flour+baking powder mixture, one cup at a time and mix until well incorporated.

6.  Pour the cake batter into the
prepared cake pan(half way) and smooth the top with a spatula.

7. Finally bake in the preheated oven (150ºC or 300ºF) for 1 hour or until the cake is springy to touch and has
started to shrink out from the sides of the pans.

Some oven bake faster, while others are
a bit slow, so  be sure to check your cake after 45 minutes of placing it in the
oven, to know if it is ready or needs further baking.

You can also check for ”doneness” by sticking a skewer into the center of the cake; if it comes out clean, your cake is ready.

6. Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Then pour the chocolate ganache on it(see recipe below)
 This yummy fruit cake can be served with any Nigerian drink of choice.

+++********************************************************************+++
Easy Chocolate Ganache recipeIngredients:– 200 grams Chocolate(cut into tiny bits).. you can also use chocolate chips – 50 Unsalted Butter – 70 ml Milk (I used 100ml, because I wanted it a bit runny)tip: if using powdered milk, mix 2 tablespoonful with 70 ml water.Steps:1. Place milk and butter into a small pot and set to boil.2.  The moment the butter melts, put off the heat and pour in the chocolate bit

3. Leave the mixture for about 4 minutes, to soften the chocolate.4. Then using a whisk, mix gently until the whole chocolate is melted and well incorporated.5. Leave to cool to room temperature and set aside to use on the cake.
Note: the ganache will thicken as it cools.

<<You might be interested in:
* Easy Multi-Colour Polka Dots Fondant Cake for Beginners
* How to make Fondant from scratch
* How to Color Fondant for Cake Decorating
* How to Make Butter Icing (buttercream icing)
* How to cover a cake with Fondant
* Nigerian Cake Recipe
* Apple cake recipe
* Banana cake recipe
* How to make Cake in a Sandwich Toaster
* How to make Cake Browning

1. Unknown
    September 1, 2018 / 5:41 pm

hi nick i love ur recipes

2. Linda
    August 15, 2018 / 7:49 am

Hi Nky,I love your recipe and want to try it out today.but am confused on how to use the citrus peels,do u grate them before boiling and soaking in alcohol or u just extract.pls let me know how to use it in making a fruit cake. Thanks

3. Unknown
    July 11, 2018 / 3:12 am

Nice work

4. Nana
    June 2, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Hi Thanks for this wonderful recipe. I have a gold tequila of 38% alcohol volume, could I use that instead of rum or brandy? Would it make a difference? Also If I want to further increase the shelf life of the cake after baking how to I do that, I heard you can inject/brush the cake with alcohol?

5. Ejura
    May 31, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Hi I have tequila with 38% alcohol volume. Can I use that in place of brandy or rum? Also can I brush/inject the cake with more alcohol after baking to increase the shelf life?

6. Salma
    May 2, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Hi Nky. Can I serve this ganache on toaster cake???

7. Ella
    March 23, 2017 / 3:36 pm

EllaNky darling. keep it up. u've got a great job here. I want to ask, do you have an official Facebook page or an email sort of?For the fruit cake, what quantity of orange zest do I use for 9 cups of flour and can I add chocolate flavor to it?

8. Michy Angle
    March 19, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Hi nky love, permit me to use that word *love* cos that's what I gat for you. I don't know how I came across your page, but all the same, I'm grateful for whatever has brought me to this wonderful page of yours. Would be unfair of me if I don't comment and thank you for your great job. I tried the egusi cooking though I used egg with mine and it was a boom. I'm so glued to your page and I'm loving it 😉. My next mission is cake baking. Will come here to give testimony of how long your cooking skills teaching as taken me. E-hugs and kisses to you. You are blessed dear😘😘😘👍👍

9. Nancy
    February 2, 2017 / 9:51 am

Pls Nky my cake keep getting burnt, what do i do. thank u

December 24, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Hi, NigerianFoodTV!! I have visited this site like cray cray these past two days and it wouldn't be fair to not drop a comment, I just made use of your fruit cake recipe, and my brothers are losing their minds! It's soooo good! I substituted the chocolate in your ganache recipe with chocolate syrup (I'd already shopped before I saw ur site),it might not solid as good, but it'd be eaten up tmre anyway so… And the taste is absolutely fabulous! Thank you. You just got a regular visitor 😀

11. Amora
    December 21, 2016 / 9:24 am

Hello Nk, nice job you are doing here. i want to try this cake recipe this season but i notice you didn't include when or how to add the citrus peel.Kindly confirm please.Thank you.

12. Efficient Ignatius
    December 20, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I don't know what else to say than to say I love you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. This generation can't afford to loose you. That's why I pray that you live long to assist people like me. Thanks a million Nky. (Tightest Hug) lol

13. Angiephils Health and Beauty world
    December 11, 2016 / 8:52 pm

Well done ma and God bless you for the recipe..more blessing

December 12, 2016 / 6:41 pm