Nigerian Cake is rich and dense and this fruit cake is not far from it. It is a fruity and richer variation of the classic Nigerian Cake and usually a big favorite at Christmas parties.
Here how to prepare it:
Fruit Cake Ingredients :
This recipe makes a well risen Loaf Pan (8.5×2.75x4.5) deep Cake.
- 250 grams (about 2 cups) Plain Flour /All purpose flour
- 250 grams Butter (at room temperature)
- 4 Eggs (at room temperature)
- 170 grams Sugar
- 11⁄4 tablespoonful Baking powder
- 1 tablespoonful flavor (vanilla or butterscotch flavor)
- ½ cup Brandy or Rum
- 1⁄4 cup Browning(see how to make cake browning)
- 1 handful mixed Dry fruits (raisins,sultanas,currants,cherries)
- 1 teaspoon citrus peels(orange, lemon or grapefruit peel)
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg & Cinnamon (for extra flavor)
– Raisins, sultanas and currants are all different varieties of dried grapes, so feel free to make use of a combination of all or any one you can find.
– I didn’t use cherries for this cake, but you can if you want to.
– The citrus peels can be of either orange, lemon or grapefruit or a combination of the three.
– I also used oldenburger butter, you can get it at all big supermarkets, like shop rite and Park n Shop, at the fridge section.
A. Soak the fruits and citrus peels in the alcohol for up to 1month or at least 3 days. But if you are in a hurry to make the cake, you can boil it in a pot for 10mins with 2 tablespoonful of sugar and
1⁄4 cup water; strain and place in a bowl, then add the alcohol and leave to cool to room temperature and set aside.
Tip: if you’ll rather not use alcohol, simply use the boiled fruits after straining and at room temperature.
B. Prepare the pan by lightly greasing
the insides of the pan with butter and then dusting with flour. This
will prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
C. Preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 150ºC or the 300ºF mark.
1. In a wide bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl or cake mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy, then add the
sugar and continue creaming until it goes from grainy to fluffy again.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and gradually add it to the butter-sugar mix , as you continue to cream.
4. Add the browning, flavor and alcohol soaked fruits.
5. Gradually add the flour+baking powder mixture, one cup at a time and mix until well incorporated.
6. Pour the cake batter into the
prepared cake pan(half way) and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Finally bake in the preheated oven (150ºC or 300ºF) for 1 hour or until the cake is springy to touch and has
started to shrink out from the sides of the pans.
Some oven bake faster, while others are
a bit slow, so be sure to check your cake after 45 minutes of placing it in the
oven, to know if it is ready or needs further baking.
You can also check for ”doneness” by sticking a skewer into the center of the cake; if it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
6. Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Then pour the chocolate ganache on it(see recipe below)
This yummy fruit cake can be served with any Nigerian drink of choice.
Easy Chocolate Ganache recipe
- 200 grams Chocolate(cut into tiny bits).. you can also use chocolate chips
- 50 Unsalted Butter
- 70 ml Milk (I used 100ml, because I wanted it a bit runny)tip: if using powdered milk, mix 2 tablespoonful with 70 ml water.
1. Place milk and butter into a small pot and set to boil.
2. The moment the butter melts, put off the heat and pour in the chocolate bit
3. Leave the mixture for about 4 minutes, to soften the chocolate.
4. Then using a whisk, mix gently until the whole chocolate is melted and well incorporated.5. Leave to cool to room temperature and set aside to use on the cake.
Note: the ganache will thicken as it cools.
<<You might be interested in:
* Easy Multi-Colour Polka Dots Fondant Cake for Beginners
* How to make Fondant from scratch
* How to Color Fondant for Cake Decorating
* How to Make Butter Icing (buttercream icing)
* How to cover a cake with Fondant
* Nigerian Cake Recipe
* Apple cake recipe
* Banana cake recipe
* How to make Cake in a Sandwich Toaster
* How to make Cake Browning