Agege bread (How to make soft – stretchy Nigerian bread)

Nigerian Agege bread , Agege bread recipe, Nigerian bread, nigerianfoodtv
Agege Bread- The Nº1 Nigerian Bread

Agege bread recipe, yay, at last! Right?

Agege bread is one of the most popular Nigerian bread, known for its soft, stretchy and chewy texture.

In dad’s bakery, bread was made with chemical dough improvers and preservatives such as (Edc 2000, E-281 &E-202). These chemicals give the bread its unique stretchy texture, but are usually sold in large quantity for industrial use.

Dad is now with the Lord, and mom wasn’t so sure of how to get that chewy feel without confectionery additives. So I had to turn to thefreshloaf and Christine’s recipe where I learnt about ”Scalded flour” and ”Tangzhong” .

And after trying them, I can assure you that, these are two of the best natural dough enhancers you will ever find.
Not only do they enhance the dough, they also serve as natural preservatives and keep the bread, soft and stretchy for  3 to 4 days.

**click to know more about these dough enhancers**

Update 2019: For this bread  here , I made use of the ‘ Scalded flour” method. But in recent times I have been interchanging it with the ”Tangzhong” method because it is more dependable , no matter the weather condition (heat or humidity).

The picture below are breadrolls made with Tangzhong method-

Nigerian Agege bread , Agege bread recipe, Nigerian bread, nigerianfoodtv

Makes one 9 by 4 inch loaf or  three 3 by 4 inch(like mine)

Ingredients

For the Main Dough:-

• 350 gr Bread Flour/Plain flour (bread flour makes a more chewy bread)
  • 30 gr Bread Flour/Plain flour (for kneading)
  • 50 gr Sugar- 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 7 gr instant dry Yeast(2 &1/2 teaspoon)
  • 140 ml lukewarm Water/Whole Milk, adjust as needed
  • 50 gr Butter, at room temperature(cut into smaller pieces)

For the Scalded flour Dough enhancer:-

• 100 gr Bread Flour/Plain flour
  • 100 ml boiling water

Tools:

• 2 bowls
  • A bread pan
  • A plastic dough scraper

Tip for using milk:

– Milk is not added to agege bread, but since it is a homemade bread, you can add a little to make the bread richer and softer, so if you’ll like to use powdered milk, dissolve 2 heaping tablespoonful in  the 140 ml water used in the recipe.

If you’re using evaporated milk(peak milk) add 4 to 5 tablespoonful in 130 ml water.

Steps

To prepare the Scalded flour Dough enhancer:

a. Pour all the boiling water into a bowl containing the 100gr bread flour.

b.  Stir the mixture quickly until well combined, then cover with a lid or cling film and leave to cool to room temperature(takes about 1 hour depending on the weather).
Don’t worry if the dough looks rough, after 1 hour the flour would have absorbed all the water and look smoother.

Tip: the scalded flour is usually left for 12 hours before use, but I always get the same results if I use it after 1 hour.

making the dough enhancer for Agege bread Nigerian bread)

Now to prepare the main dough:

1. Sift the bread flour into a wide bowl. Add the sugar, salt and the instant dry yeast, and mix well.
Tip: if you’re not sure about the potency of your yeast, you can proof/test it by combining the yeast, water and sugar together in a bowl. Leave for 10 minutes or until it starts to foam, form bubbles and look creamy. Then add it to the flour, but if it doesn’t foam, you know the yeast is bad.

2. Now, make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the prepared scalded flour and gradually add the lukewarm water/milk; mix together until you get a slightly sticky dough.(

steps for Agege bread

Let the dough sit for 10 minutes, so that the flour will completely absorb the liquid you used.

3. Then transfer the sticky dough, onto a lightly floured table.

Knead for about 20 minutes, using the ”stretch, slap and fold method”(in this method the sticky dough is stretched, folded over itself, lifted up and thrown back down onto the table  repeatedly until the dough is less sticky and elastic)… you’ll need a scraper to help bring the sticky dough together while kneading.

The dough will be very sticky at first, but keep on kneading, and incorporating as little flour as possible. Too much flour will result in a hard bread. So resist the urge to add more flour.. use the scraper to remove sticky flour from your fingers.

4. Now, knead the butter into the dough for another 20 minutes until well incorporated and you get a soft, smooth and stretchy dough that does not break easily when stretched.

This is surely a lot of work, but one with a benefit.(At this stage you’ll notice the difference in the texture of the dough).

Tip: the oil/butter stops the formation of gluten, that’s why it is added last, after the gluten has been formed.

If you have a dough/ bread machine you can use it. Knead on medium speed for 30 minutes, using the dough hook , until you get a smooth and stretchy dough.

For a food processor, knead for  3 to 5 minutes and check the doughs elasticity every 30 seconds.

5. Form the now elastic dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover with a cling film or damp towel and leave to rise until doubled in size(takes about 1 hour or more, depending on the weather).

kneading Agege bread

6.  After 1 hour, punch down on the risen dough and transfer to the work surface. Divide the dough into small rough balls.

I divided mine into 4 (3 for the loaf pan and 1 for my daughter to practice with).

Then cover the balls with a damp cloth and leave to rest for 10 minutes, while you grease the pan you’ll be using.

7. Now shape each of the balls into a long roll and place in the greased pan.
If you’ll like to shape it like mine, then using a rolling pin or your hands(because the dough might be a tad bit sticky), roll out each ball into a long oval shape. Join the 2 sides together;

Nigerian Agege bread : first proofing and molding

And pinch up the meeting point, then turn over, so that the seam(closure) is facing down; then flatten with the rolling pin and roll up the dough, just as you see in the pictures below.

8. Place the shaped dough into the pan, cover again with the damp cloth or cling film and let it rise again for another 1 hour or until it doubles in size or almost reaching the top of the pan.

Nigerian bread : first proofing and molding agege bread

9. Preheat the oven for 5 minutes at 180ºC  (370ºF).10. Finally brush the risen bread with egg wash(raw egg+2 tablespoon water) or melted butter(to give it glow/shine) and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until done(when it is golden brown).

Nigerian bread : second proofing and baking agege bread

Take out of the oven, leave to cool a bit and transfer onto a rack.

And now you have a yummy Agege Bread, to enjoy with Ewa Agoyin, Akara or any other meal or beverage of choice.

popular Nigerian bread

Please let me know what you think and I’ll be expecting your feedback if you try this recipe 🙂

Also check out our other bread  and cake recipes.

Hello! Please leave your comment below and I'll get back to you in a jiffy :)

1. Raufikat
    January 2, 2019 / 2:58 am

Hi! I tried this recipe and I love the bread. The only thing is perhaps you need to re-check the quantity of water for the scalded dough and the bread itself. They were both dry and I had to add a lot more. Otherwise, excellent texture and taste! Thank you

• January 6, 2019 / 9:47 am

Hi Raufikat, thanks for the feedback.
      As for the water, the measurement is right.
      Did you use the dough enhancer?
      If you did, you won’t need to add more water to your dough.
      But I am glad that it all turned out well for you

• Raufikat
        January 6, 2019 / 7:41 pm

Thank you for responding! I did use the enhancer, but what is it supposed to feel/look like? Like a thick batter or a stiff dough? Thanks again

• January 9, 2019 / 1:19 pm

It is more like a light but stiff dough and sticky too(I don’t know how best to describe it🙂)
          If yours comes out too tough, you can add about 25ml water to it and let rest for a while before use.
          I also like to add that weather(bothe heat and humidity) also affect the flour and the liquid content.

If you find it challenging, I also recommend the ‘Tangzhong” method, this is easier to work with and gives great results too.
          See the bread rolls I made with it here https://www.nigerianfoodtv.com/jija-bread-rolls-nigerian-pull-apart/
          Hope this helps.

• Raufikat
            January 9, 2019 / 10:08 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much. I’ll try the jija bread and let you know.

2. Nigeria For life
    December 19, 2018 / 12:37 am

You dont put milk in agege bread you bomba!!

• December 20, 2018 / 8:05 am

You Bomba to you too!!🙋‍♀️(If that’s a kind of greeting wherever you live🙄)
      Nigeria for life,did you even read the recipe?
      If you had, you would have seen all details there.
      Agege bread does not require milk , but most people would be making it at home
      and for their beloved family, and might want to add milk for extra richness
      Adding milk doesnt take anything away from the recipe.
      So feel free to use lukewarm water as indicated in the recipe.

3. Promise
    December 9, 2018 / 8:54 am

Hello ma’am, thanks for your recipe.. Please if I may ask, if I use the dough conditioner you used here, I need not use another preservatives for commercial purpose? Or can I use both instead?

• December 12, 2018 / 9:22 am

Hello Promise, the dough conditioner acts as a softener and gives the Agege bread that stretchy and soft feel ,
      it also keeps the bread fresh for 3 to 4 days, but for commercial purpose,
      if you want the bread to remain fresh for longer than that
      you’ll have to opt for preservatives.

4. Adaeze Femi-Olekanma
    November 20, 2018 / 4:18 pm

Hi. Tried your scaled dough enhancer.. it didn’t come out like yours..
    But I have bread improver powder.. my question is.. how much of the bread improver powder can I substitute for the scalded dough enhancer?
    Hope am making sense

• December 7, 2018 / 7:13 am

Hi Adaeze, sorry you could not get it right.
      Did you follow the recipe ”as it is”?
      How did yours turn out?
      As for the bread improver, you can follow the manufaturers direction,
      I think it is always written on the label.

5. Unknown
    October 18, 2018 / 3:14 am

Thanks for your patience in your explanation. I tried mine with your method and it didn't fail me.keep the good job. From USA

6. Recipe hunter
    September 5, 2018 / 9:45 am

Hi. I know this is an old post, but on the 4th item in the recipe pls;- The use of dough machine or food processor, is that in place of the 20 mins hand kneading with butter or is it an additional step after the kneading has been done? Thank you.

August 17, 2018 / 1:23 am

Thanks for the recipe have been baking this bread every other day for 2 weeks now….

August 17, 2018 / 1:23 am

9. Charles
    June 19, 2018 / 4:11 pm

please its urgent. I want to find out what may be the possible causes for the reduction of my bread's shelf life. They go bad in less than 3days and my customers are seriously complaining. thanks.

10. Unknown
    May 22, 2018 / 2:54 pm

Wow! Nice job. Can't wait to try this. But can I use a cake pan cos I don't have any bread pan dat looks like urs.

11. Francesca Sarubbi
    April 26, 2018 / 5:21 am

hi! I love your blog! can I use yeast instead of instant yeast?

12. Elizabeth
    January 24, 2018 / 11:21 pm

Hi, I made this and the bread texture was good but doughy in places and this remained the case when I put it in for longer until it was overcooked. The top of my bread was also firmer than how yours looks. What did I need to do?

13. Selene Urena
    September 19, 2017 / 1:06 pm

It's likewise conceivable to spare inclinations to your clock settings. Thusly, you can have it cut up your bread in any capacity you need, contingent upon how it will be utilized. top 5 toastmaster machines

14. Prex
    September 13, 2017 / 2:02 pm

*нєℓℓσ.. gяєαт ѕтυff…**ρℓєαѕє ωнαт ιѕ тнє gяαмѕ σf тнє fℓσυя ιи ¢υρѕ… αи∂ нσω ∂σ ι ѕυвѕтιтυтє gσσ∂ σℓ∂ α¢тινє ∂яу уєαѕт fσя тнє тωσ αи∂ нαℓf тєαѕρσσиѕ σf ιиѕтαит ∂яу уєαѕт???*

15. Dark Mode
    September 8, 2017 / 8:09 pm

I want to try kind of bakery business in Nigeria. I need bakery equipment, and have nice place to start. I new to this business, can you give me some advice? Can i buy used equipment? There are a lot of used machines on online marketplaces, i want to buy here https://jiji.ng/23-bakery-equipments i find some in “new” condition and low price. But is it worth buy used machines?

16. Unknown
    May 29, 2017 / 11:46 am

Thank you for this great recipe… i was trying so many diffrent once, but urs is far the best…keep up ur great work..remain blessed :*

May 22, 2017 / 7:11 pm

I just made this bread.thanks so much.hubby liked it.i used a food processor but i still kneaded on a flat surface.do i still need to do this even with a food processor?Thank you

18. Thelma
    May 13, 2017 / 1:30 pm

I tried the sausage and fish roll and it was nice, my hubby loved it and I have to make it every weekend. All thanks to you am getting better at it. Nice on my list is the agege bread…. God bless you for creating this platform

19. dadwithnoisykids
    May 11, 2017 / 1:54 am

Do you have a printer friendly version of this recipe? My son brought some of this bread home, thanks to a Nigerian friend of his. I googled 'Nigerian bread' and your page showed up first.

April 14, 2017 / 12:54 pm

hello sis, pls when are we suppose to put the butter because in the mixture it never says we when i should add the butter, will it be together when i put the sugare, yeast or when.

21. AsRealAsItGets
    March 12, 2017 / 8:49 am

Thank you for your recipe. I made the bread and it tastes like Agege bread but the next day the bread was hard. What can i do so it remains soft and stretchy the following day.Thanks

22. tessy
    March 6, 2017 / 4:38 pm

Wow!!! Thanks for this recipe, my trial came out perfectly.

23. elizabeth obebeduo
    January 18, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Hello beauty. Love all your videos. Please can you make a how to bake video to this agege bread. We will really appreciate it thanks

24. Ola
    December 30, 2016 / 2:22 pm

Thank you for this great recipe, can't wait to try it . Just wondering if the same recipe and method can be used for sliced bread. Thank you

25. slim
    December 18, 2016 / 7:07 pm

Enter your comment…great recipe! only thing I get confused with is the scale of measuring. eg. 300g plain flour, 50g sugar, what's its equivalent in our nigerian cups.

26. melisa
    December 2, 2016 / 4:02 am

Enter your comment…hi Nky,i made mine n it wonderful,my kids n hubby loves it so much,,may God continually addin more knowledge to u

27. Omolola
    October 5, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Made this today and it turned out well. I have tried making bread in the past but this is the first that actually tastes like the store bought bread. God bless you

October 7, 2016 / 5:56 pm

I'm glad to hear that OmololaThanks for your feddback hun.God bless you too 🙂

28. Onyinye
    August 11, 2016 / 5:48 pm

Thanks for your recipe Nky. My bread was very delicious

August 12, 2016 / 4:10 pm

Thanks for your lovely feedback Onyinye 🙂

August 5, 2016 / 4:14 pm

Hi Nky, can baking powder be used in place of yeast? Thank you

• Joy
      August 12, 2016 / 4:30 pm

No, only yeast can be used for Nigerian Agege bread.

30. Butter House
    August 1, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Keep up the good work!

August 12, 2016 / 4:27 pm

thanks 🙂

31. Mary
    July 7, 2016 / 5:03 pm

Hello NKY, your recipe is the best that I've come across. I love bread so much n how to make it was just the problem. I've googled how to make it on many occasions, but the day i came across ur recipe all my bread making problem ended. Seriously speaking, you are the BEST…. Weldone. I love you like kilode��

August 12, 2016 / 4:19 pm

Aww Mary, thank you so much dear. You made my day.And I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂

June 23, 2016 / 3:35 am

Pls ma, a video for the agege bread will be perfect thank u and God continue to keep you for us…so we can have lot and lot of good way to cook, i must say u made me who i am today when it comes to cooking,i was formally that mummy's little 24 year old who knws how to do nothing….thanks alot

August 12, 2016 / 4:14 pm

Thanks for your beautiful comment Damilola, I'm glad to be of help-A video for Agege bread is surely coming up, so stay tuned to our youtub channel hun. http://www.youtube.com/nigerianfoodtv

33. ifeoma scholar
    June 17, 2016 / 3:23 pm

hi, i like your post and i would like to know more and ask some question. please how can i reach you.Thanks

August 12, 2016 / 4:11 pm

Hi Ifeoma, feel free to ask your questions here.

34. ifeoma scholar
    June 17, 2016 / 3:18 pm

hi please i will like to chat with you, its important. How do reach you

35. Vicky
    June 2, 2016 / 2:25 pm

just read about your mom. sorry for your loss.Please, how can we get a video for the agege bread

June 2, 2016 / 9:42 pm

Thanks Vicky, I'm working on the video dear, you'll see it on this page very soon 🙂

36. Nifemi Aluko
    May 21, 2016 / 11:56 am

I made this today and it was so beautiful and tasted exactly like Agege bread. Was really impressed with it.thanks for the recipe

June 2, 2016 / 9:41 pm

Hi Nifemi, thanks for your lovely feedback 🙂

37. Unknown
    May 21, 2016 / 11:54 am

October 7, 2016 / 5:59 pm

🙂

38. David Agu
    April 21, 2016 / 8:25 pm

nky your the best.

June 2, 2016 / 9:40 pm

Thanks David 🙂

April 10, 2016 / 7:41 am

Nky I must try this ooh as I am a bread lover. The names of things to buy though! Lol. Please can I get all of the ingredients to use in pAris? Some of the names are strange

40. babyblogger
    April 9, 2016 / 6:36 pm

Wow i refuse to come here without leaving a comment. Nice looking agege bread.

April 13, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Thanks hun 🙂

41. Ekene Ike
    April 9, 2016 / 4:23 pm

Hey Nky, this is your cousin Ekene, good work your,re doing here.I miss all those loaves your parents used to give us anytime we visit.Miss you too and keep it up, your dad will be very proud of you.

April 13, 2016 / 7:49 pm

Wow,Ekky it's been like 10yrs, na wa ooo, it's really been ages. Happy to see you again, just got your number from ND, be expecting my call hun, we have a lot of catching up to do 🙂

• Augustina Olayinka
      September 4, 2016 / 7:49 am

Sister happy Sunday to May the Almighty Father in heaven continue to bless and favour you on every side and strengthening you at all times.Amen.Love ❤ you with the Love of God

• Augustina Olayinka
      September 4, 2016 / 7:49 am

October 7, 2016 / 5:59 pm

Thank you so much Augustina, God bless you too hun 🙂

42. RUKKY
    April 9, 2016 / 4:13 pm

Yes o at long last. I am always patient cos I know that your recipes have never failed me.Thanks for this, i will lrtbu know how it goes.

April 13, 2016 / 7:45 pm