|Nigerian Egusi Soup with bitter leaf | Obe Efo Elegusi|
Egusi Soup is a Nigerian Soup which is made with melon seeds and enriched with spices and vegetables.
It can be prepared with leafy vegetables, such as ugwu(fluted pumpkin leaves), bitter leaf, spinach and the likes.
Below is my grandma’s favorite, a recipe prepared with bitter leaf.
Ingredients for the Egusi Soup (a.k.a Ofe Egusi / Obe Efo Elegusi)
- 3 medium cups Egusi Seeds(melon seeds)
- Assorted meat (shaki, cow meat, goat meat , turkey meat, chicken, pork meat etc)
- Assorted dry fish of choice (stockfish etc)
- Dried Prawns (optional)
- Red Palm Oil: 2 cooking/serving spoons
- 1 tablespoonful ground Crayfish
- Bitter leaf(as desired)
- Ugu/Spinach(3 handful)
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
Cooking directions for Egusi soup
a. Boil the assorted meat and stock fish, with chopped onions, one seasoning cube and salt to taste.
Cook until tender and set aside for later use.
b. Clean the dried prawns by separating the heads&tails from the center.
Grind the heads&tails and set aside to use in the soup. Then soak the center in hot water , to soften and clean it.
c. Grind the egusi seeds until smooth and then dissolve with lukewarm water to form a paste.
Now to cook the Egusi Soup
1. Heat up the palm oil until hot, add diced onions and the dissolved egusi. Fry for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens.
2. Add the bitter leaf and a little water or the meat stock. Add the prawns and leave to simmer for 5 minutes
3. Now add the cooked meat and stock fish. Add the ground prawns(or crayfish), ground pepper and
seasoning cubes. Boil for 15 minutes.
4. Add the sliced spinach leaves and simmer for 5 minutes and the soup is ready.
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)