|Nigerian Beef Stew|
Nigerian Beef Stew is similar to the chicken stew,but in this recipe,beef is used instead of Chicken. This tasty savory stew is often served over boiled rice, boiled and fried plantains, yams, potatoes and boiled beans.
Nigerian Beef Stew can also be used for preparing jollof Rice ,Rice & beans and Coconut Rice. All you need to do is take out the beef from the stew and you have a plain delicious stew for jollof rice, coconut rice and other recipes that calls for red stew.
Ingredients for Nigerian Beef Stew
- 1.5kg Fresh Tomatoes or tinned tomato puree(the watery type)
- 100g Canned tomato paste(the smallest De Rica brand thick tomato paste(optional)
- 1 litre Vegetable Oil(read recipe to see how to re-use the oil)
- 500g beef (or a mixture of assorted beef,such as cow skin (ponmo) or tripe(shaki)
- 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions
- 5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
- 2 stock cubes
- Thyme and curry (1 tablespoon each)
- Salt to taste
Cooking directions for Nigerian Beef Stew
* First, Wash and cut the meat into bite-able sizes.Place in a pot and add water, thyme, curry ,1 stock cube and salt to taste.Cook the meat until done and fry/grill, then set aside and reserve the beef stock.
* Open up the Canned tomato paste, scoop out the content into a bowl and dilute with a little water and Set aside.
* Next, grind the tomatoes, peppers and onions. If you are making use of only the thick tomato paste, simply dilute it in a little water and set aside.
* Now, Pour the ground tomato mix into a pot and leave to boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.
* Heat up the vegetable oil, add some onions(if you like). Add the dried up tomatoes and the diluted tomato puree and fry for about 25 minutes or until the tomato looses it's sour taste. Stir continuously to prevent burning at the bottom.
*Add the beef stock and cook for 10 minutes.
*Next, add the fried beef, stock cube and salt to taste. Cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
You'll notice at this stage that the oil has risen to the top of the stew
Now the Nigerian Beef Stew is ready.Enjoy.
NB : Scoop out the excess oil and preserve in the fridge to re-use again for Nigerian soups, stew potatoes and yam recipes.
The Nigerian Beef Stew is used in the same way as the Chicken stew; for eating boiled and fried yams, Boiled rice, plantain recipes and beans recipes. Enjoy!
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Mixed Vegetable Sauce
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete