|Thick Kokoro (korokoro)… Crunchy Corn meal snack|
Kokoro is a rod–like shaped crunchy Nigerian snack ,popular in some parts of Nigeria. It is made with corn meal/corn flour and usually sold by street hawkers...yummy!….reminiscing the good old childhood days :)). And here’s the recipe for kokoro..Enjoy 🙂 .
Ingredients for Kokoro (Hausa Masa)
*1 cup corn flour/corn meal( the coarse type)..
(this is not the corn starch used for for making Pap)
*2 tablespoonful of sugar
*A pinch of grated Ginger(optional)
*A pinch of Chili Pepper (optional)
*A pinch of Salt
*Oil for frying
Kokoro Making Directions
*In a small bowl, add half cup of the cornmeal, sugar, pepper, salt and grated ginger. Mix thoroughly and set aside
* Pour half cup of water into a pot, leave to boil and then add the mixed corn meal, stir continuously until you get a stretchy mix that looks just like Eba (you would notice the change in the mixture) .
* Place the corn meal in a big bowl, cover and leave to cool completely
* When it is cooled, add the remaining cornmeal and knead until smooth.
* Take a little portion and roll in between your palm, you can also roll it on a flat table to get a longer shape.Repeat this process for the remaining dough.
* Now heat up some vegetable oil until hot and fry the rods shaped dough until it hardens.
*Remove the Kokoro and place on sieve lines with paper towels, to remove excess oil.Leave to cool and ENJOY!
Kokoro can be eaten as a snack on it own or with soft drinks, fruit juices , kunnu or zobo .
Other related recipes :
* Nigerian Chin Chin recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Pie
* Nigerian Sausage Rolls
* Nigerian Egg Roll
* Nigerian Scotch Eggs
*Nigerian Fish Rolls
*Nigerian Fish Pie Recipe
*Nigerian Meat Pie
*Nigerian Puff puff
by Nky Lily Lete