Nigerian Tomato Stew (Vegan stew) is a simple stew that is used as a base for Nigerian Jollof Rice and Coconut Rice Recipes.It is often made in large quantities and stored in the freezer until when needed.
I always make this tomato stew for my vegetarian friends, so that they don’t feel left out ☺ .
It is also the first step in the cooking steps for most Nigerian stews, such as the Fish stew, Chicken stew and Beef stew.
Here’s a detailed recipe on how to make this basic stew, and you can also watch a video recipe on How to Make Nigerian Tomato Stew(video coming soon)
Ingredients for Nigerian Tomato Stew
– 1.5kg Fresh Tomatoes or blended tomato puree
– 200g Tomato paste(e.g De Rica brand (optional)
– 1 litre Vegetable Oil
– 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions
– 3 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)(optional)
– 1 stock cube (vegetable bouillon cube for vegans)
– Salt to taste
Cooking directions for Nigerian Tomato Stew
* Open the Canned tomato paste, scoop content into a bowl and dilute with a little water.Set aside.
* Blend the tomatoes, peppers and onions and set aside
* Pour the blended tomatoes into a pot and let it boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.
* Now, heat up the vegetable oil, add some onions(optional, because the blended tomatoes already has onions). Add the dried tomatoes and tomato puree and fry for about 25 minutes or until the tomato looses it’s sour taste. Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
*Next, add stock cube and salt to taste. Cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes and your Nigerian Tomato Stew(vegan stew) is ready.
***As for the excess oil, let the stew cool down a bit and then scoop out the excess oil, pour into a bottle and preserve in the fridge. This oil, can be used for Nigerian stews, soups,yam recipes and beans recipes.
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)