|Nigerian Plantain Porridge|
Nigerian Plantain Porridge is a rich meal that all plantain lovers will surely enjoy. It can be prepared with either ripe or unripe plantains or a combination of both. Even if you’re not a plantain lover, you should give this meal a try, because plantains are rich in fiber, minerals(potasium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous) and Vitamins(A, B6 and C).
The green plantains is said to contain more healing properties than the ripened ones, but all the same, they are both okay for this recipe.
Here’s how to prepare Nigerian Plantain Porridge
– 2 medium sized Plantains( ripe , semi ripe or unripe)
– 1 smoked fish or fresh fish(preferably mackerel ”titus fish”
(smoked fish should not be too dry, if using)
– About 400gram or 1 bunch Ugwu leaves(use Spinach, Kale or Green amaranth as substitute)
– 1 large Onion bulb
– 1 tablespoonful Ground Crayfish
– 1 cooking spoonful Palm oil(use tomato stew or stew oil as substitute)
– 1 Large seasoning cube or 1 teaspoonful seasoning powder
– Salt to taste
– Chili or Scotch bonnet (atarodo) Pepper to taste
(use ground dried pepper or chopped fresh ones)
Tip: if you’re cooking for kids, the ripe plantains are usually preferred .
** Below is a video recipe on how to prepare Nigerian Plantain Porridge **
1. Peel and chop the onions;
Chop or grind the pepper,
Wash, peel and cut the plantains into small sizes.
Then wash the vegetables and slice into thin strips and set all aside for later use.
2. Now,wash and clean the fish .
If using smoked fish, clean with hot water and set aside
If using fresh fish remove the gut, cut and set aside.
3. Place the plantains into a pot, add enough water to slightly cover the plantains.
Then add the chopped onions, the fish, ground crayfish, pepper and seasoning cube or powder.
Leave to cook until it starts to boil.
4. Add the palm oil (or tomato stew or stew oil) and salt to taste.
Leave to cook until the plantains are tender.
Tip: Stew oil is the excess red colored oil you scoop out from tomato stew.
5. Finally , add the sliced vegetables, and simmer covered for 3 minutes .
Stir thoroughly, serve and enjoy.
So what do you think, are you going to give it a try?