Tomato is one the most common fruit/vegetable in the world. It is loaded with vitamins, anti oxidants and lots of health benefits.
I love tomato, and can eat it all day; Raw, baked, pureed, in stews or in soups. But my favorite form of enjoying it, is in a smoothie, sandwich or salad.
This is actually one of my ”go-to drinks” whenever I’ve had a stressful, weather-beaten week, and it seems to work wonders for my skin tone.
So here’s my easy tomato smoothie recipe.
Makes a glassful
– 2 fresh tomatoes
– 3 African basil (nchawun/efirin) leaves
– 1 teaspoon coconut oil(see how to make coconut oil at home)
– Orange juice/pineapple juice(to taste)
1. Wash and scrub the tomatoes thoroughly with salt or baking soda to get rid of pesticides on the skin. Slice into chunks and then wash the basil leaves.
Place the tomatoes and the leaves into a blender, add a little water and grind into a puree.
2. Pour the pureed mixture through a clean muslin cloth placed over a sieve.
3. Now pour the extract into a small pot, add the coconut oil and boil on low heat for 2 minutes and leave to cool completely.
4. Pour into a glass cup, add orange juice or pineapple juice to taste and enjoy.
I boiled the tomato puree and added oil because the antioxidant (lycopene) in tomatoes, which works as a cancer-fighter, is fat soluble and better absorbed by the body if the tomato is heated.
African basil (nchawun/efirin) is a healing herb that also helps to boost metabolism and aids bowel movement.
Health benefits of Tomatoes
– Tomatoes contain vitamins A and C which are great for the eyes and boost immunity.
– Tomatoes when eaten fresh, has been shown to reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure.
– Tomato also contains a cancer fighting anti-oxidant known as lycopene.
– Tomatoes can also be used directly on the skin, as an astringent to reduce facial oil and also for brighter skin.
For more info on Tomatoes click here
Here are other drinks and smoothies you might like