Nigerian Salad Sandwich as the name implies, is a rich club sandwich made up of most of the ingredients you would find in an average Nigerian salad.
I usually prepare mine with left over salad ingredients and it’s always a hit at family gatherings. But don’t wait until you have salad leftovers, before you try out this yummy club sandwich.
See how to prepare this delicious sandwich below.
Nigerian Salad Sandwich
– 8 slices of Bread(sandwich bread)
– 3 Eggs
– half of a small sized Onion(chopped)
– 2 pieces of Lettuce
– 1 large Tomato
– 2 medium Carrot
– half of a small Cabbage
– 1 small Cucumber(optional)
– 2 tablespoon Corned beef OR 4 pieces canned Sardine OR half of the canned tuna OR smoked mackerel(titus)
– 3 tablespoons Salad cream/Mayonnaise
– 1 tablespoon Ketchup(optional)
*If you’ll be making use of salad cream, you can skip the ketchup.
*If you don’t like the taste of corned beef , feel free to use soft smoked fish, canned sardines or tuna.
1a. First boil the eggs with a little salt and leave to cool. Then peel off the shells and cut the eggs into tiny bits.
If you prefer fried/scrambled eggs, break the eggs into a bowl, add seasoning and salt to taste and fry in a pan with 3 tablespoonful of oil.
Mash the eggs slightly and set aside.
b. Place the bread slices on a flat board and cut off the crusts(brown ends of the bread) and set aside.
c. Now prepare the vegetables by washing them thoroughly in clean water.
– Cut the Tomato in half, take out the seeds and chop into tiny bits.
– Also scrape the Carrot and grate finely, together with the Cabbage
– Also grate half of the cucumber and set aside
– After washing, place the Lettuce in a sieve to strain out excess water.
2. Combine the grated carrots, cucumber, cabbage, tomatoes, eggs and lettuce. Add the salad cream or mayonnaise and mix well until well incorporated and set aside for later use.
3. Place the corned beef /tuna/sardine in a plate, mash well with a fork, add a little salad cream/mayonnaise and ketchup(if using), then combine together until smooth and well incorporated.
Tip: Don’t throw away the sardine-oil, you can use it for stir-frys or add it to stews.
4. Now to assemble the sandwich, lay one piece of the bread on your work surface.
Then spread a thin layer of the vegetable mixture over the bread, then top it with the second slice of bread,
and place one lettuce leaf on it;place the third bread slice and spread thinly with the corned beef /tuna/sardine mixture and finally top with the fourth bread slice.
(that is: bread–veggie mix–bread–lettuce–bread–corned beef /tuna/sardine mix– bread)
Cut into 2 triangles and plate it as you wish( I did mine with cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes)
Repeat with the remaining 4 slices, serve and enjoy with any beverage or drink of choice.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to leave your comment and feedback .
(this recipe was inspired by my mama’s fish and salad sandwich…love you mom 🙂