Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)

bitter leaf juice , Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)

Bitter leaf plant

Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) is a vegetable used for preparing the popular Bitter leaf soup. It is also known as Onugbu, Shiwaka & Ewuro by the Igbos, Hausas&Yorubas in Nigeria.

Although this plant has been around for hundreds of years, only a few people know of its medicinal and healing properties.

Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) as the name implies, is actually a bitter plant whose leaves, extracts, stems and barks are used for culinary,medicinal and curative purposes.
  Vitamins in Bitter leaf includes;Vitamin A, Vitamin C ,Vitamin E, Vit.B1 and Vit.B2.

My grandma was a big fan of the bitter leaf juice, and on one of my visits she made me drink the juice to cure a fever. I hated the bitter taste, at that time, but when I realized the fever was gone, I humbly joined the Bitter leaf fan club … …. those grey hair on her head ain’t there for nothing, Right?.

Bitter leaf and Spinach Juice

Well, to get the best results from the bitter leaf plant, it’s best taken freshly squeezed from the leaves.

How to extract the Bitter leaf Juice
This can be done, the old school way of rubbing the clean leaves in between your palms with the help of a little water and squeezing out the juice from the leaves.

You can also use a juicer or blend the leaves with a little water, in a blender and strain out the extract with a cheese cloth, coffee strainer or a sieve with a tight mesh.

Bitter leaf juice on its own, is quite bitter and this taste might be a turn off for a lot of people.
So to reduce the bitterness of the  bitter leaf juice, simply blend it with spinach or Ugwu (fluted pumpkin). If you still find it extremely bitter, then add some sweet fruit juices to it, such as pineapple , apples or oranges.

Dry bitter leaf is also potent, but has to be properly cleaned before use.

Some of the health benefits of  Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina);

* It speeds up metabolism and therefore is great for weight loss.

* Bitter leaf juice relieves fever and feverish conditions. Take the squeezed juice, 3 times daily until the symptoms disappears.

* It also helps to reduce high sugar level in the blood, and great for diabetic patients.

* Squeeze the fresh leaves on your palm and apply the juice on skin rashes,eczema, ring worms and any superficial skin ailments, you’ll notice a change in few days. Don’t apply to open wounds.

* Bitter leaf is said to soothe and also cure pile .

* Taking a cup of bitter leaf juice a day, is a great way to detoxify the body of harmful toxins.

* Bitter leaf juice nourishes the skin.

* Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) also cures mild stomach ailments

* Bitter leaf juice is said to increase breast milk production in nursing mothers.

* The washed roots and stalks of bitterleaf  are boiled and the infusion is taking as a worm expeller. A cup of bitter leaf infusion taking first thing in the morning before meals

* Bitter leaf juice is used by local women in Guinea-Bissau to contract the uterus after childbirth and therefore should not be taking during pregnancy  or if you’re trying to conceive,because high intake might cause miscarriage.

* A cup of bitter leaf juice a day, energizes you…o yes it does.

Click Here for a delicious bitter leaf soup Recipe

Nigerian Bitterleaf Soup, Bitter leaf Soup ,Ofe Onugbu, bitter leaf juice , Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)
Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
Health Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina)
Dried Bitter leaves

For Research references:

* Ijeh II, Ejike CECC (2011). “Current perspectives on the medicinal potential of Vernonia amygdalina Del”. J Med Plant Res 5 (7): 1051–1061…
*Kokwaro, John (2009). Medicinal Plants of East Africa 3rd ed. Nairobi, Kenya: University of Nairobi Press. ISBN 9966-846-84-0.

This article is for educational purposes only, Always seek medical advise before you try anything new *

BY Nky Lily Lete

1. Ekeolu Abiodun
    June 25, 2018 / 1:33 pm

Can i refrigerate bitter leave juice for days and still remain potent?

December 15, 2017 / 1:20 am

Can you please send some seeds in UK?

3. Daniel Prasetyo
    December 14, 2017 / 2:29 am

I forgot to inform one important thing, make sure you are not emotionally stressed. Stress will cancel out therapeutic effects of bitter leaf. So after consuming bitter leaf and you don't feel any improvement, it could be your dosage is wrong or any of the things I mentioned above.

4. Daniel Prasetyo
    December 14, 2017 / 2:25 am

Don't forget to minimum drink 2 liters/day of water plus don't consume coffee, tea, carbonated drink and alcoholic drinks. By the way, when you first consume bitter leaf and you feel aches in certain parts of your body, don't worry, bitter leaf is trying to unclogged that area of your body from cholesterol etc. Just move that area (i.e. by swimming or massage) to release this discomfort.

5. Daniel Prasetyo
    December 14, 2017 / 2:19 am

Greeting from Indonesia, my name is Daniel. Bitter leaf cures my hypertension. Dosage recommended in internet somewhere is between 5-15 fresh leaves/day. To make faster effect, I also drink hydrogen water created from mineral stones.Hope this information help.

December 12, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I hear bitter leaves aids in Labour and hence can be taken in the 9th month of pregnancy.

7. Mary
    September 16, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I used it all d time even for my children. It works well

8. Unknown
    August 10, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Can ulcer patient take bitter leaf?

9. Unknown
    July 30, 2017 / 4:06 am

Good morning Nky, please does bitter leaf water delay or affect menstrual period.

10. Kenny Onitiri
    July 12, 2017 / 10:41 am

Hello. Is it safe to boil bitter leaf with potash before cooking for pregnant woman. Thanks

11. Mr b.
    December 30, 2016 / 4:30 pm

How long can one take bitter leaf juice to cure high blood sugar

December 10, 2016 / 4:15 pm

Enter your comment…how best should l store the bitter leaf juice

November 9, 2016 / 9:14 am

Is bitter leaf water good for new marriage man

• Clara
      July 28, 2017 / 12:07 pm

lol, You are funny you know? what of for married women?

14. efe
    November 7, 2016 / 7:46 pm

Enter your comment…pls is it okay to boil the bitter leaf after blending and extracting the juice

November 22, 2016 / 8:00 pm

You can boil the left over leaves, but you don't have to boil the extracted liquid(except you want to take it like a tea)

15. Unknown
    September 25, 2016 / 11:15 am

Some told me that soaking bitter leaf and Saint leaf together in hot water and taking a glass cup 3 times in a day will cure Blood sugar and improve sleep, please how is this true

16. Christine
    August 1, 2016 / 12:39 pm

Hello there friendly soul !Since a few days, I am the proud owner of dried bitter leaves (Ewuro) ! I ordered it from UK and very happy it was just delivered to me in germany. Now, I want to get the most out of the -dried- bitter leaf. Can I make a tea out of it and drink it ?! What about boiling it?! Cause I dont want to lose all the important nutritions in it. Since I can't get hold of the fresh leaves, I hope you have a good advise for me, to come as close to the heatlh benefits, as possible.Thank you SO MUCH, for all your time and devotion! Love and greetings from germany and Christine <3