Coconut milk has lots of great benefits. It is used for cooking and also great as a beauty product.
I use it mostly for cooking Nigerian Coconut Rice and it taste better than the canned coconut milk.
One other cool thing is homemade coconut milk is free of preservatives .
Here's how to make /extract your coconut milk at home.
For the video lover here's a video on How to Extract Coconut Milk
Materials used to Make / Extract Coconut Milk:
- Hard object for cracking/breaking the coconut(preferable, A hammer)
- A knife for prying out the coconut milk
- A sieve/strainer(with very tight holes) or a cheese cloth
- A blender or dry mill or grater
- Hot water(as needed)
1. First crack open the coconut with a hard object or hammer , and place a cup over it to collect the coconut water(you can drink it, it very refreshing :))
2. Now break the coconut to smaller pieces;Using a small knife, pry out the coconut meat from the shell and place in a bowl of clean water.
Wash the coconut meat and cut it into several pieces and place in a blender or dry mill.
If you don't have a blender, don't cut the coconut meat into tiny pieces, simple grate the coconut using the smaller sides of your grater.
3. If you are using a blender, add a little warm water into the blender and grind the coconut meat into a very smooth paste.
If you are using a dry mill, grind the coconut meat without any water added.
3. Next pour the grated or milled coconut into a wide bowl , add a little warm water, mix well and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
4. Now pour out the mixture through a sieve/strainer(with very tight holes) or a cheese cloth and squeeze with your hands to make sure that you get all the milk out.
Place the coconut chaff into a bowl and add a little more warm water .Repeat the same process until the milk you get is no longer ''milky'' .
If the coconut milk is for making coconut oil or coconut rice, use as needed and preserve the remaining in the freezer.