|Banga Soup : Delta State Native Banga Soup|
Banga Soup is a Nigerian soup that is native to the Southernarts of Nigeria.
It is very similar to the Igbo’s Ofe Akwu, but the additional spices used for preparing Banga Soup, makes it differ in taste and aroma.
Banga soup is known by several namesit is called izuwo amedi in Urhobo language and izuwo edi in Isoko language.
Here’s the recipe.. Enjoy!
Banga Soup Ingredients:
- 400g of canned Palm fruit pulp/ 500g Palm Fruits
- 500g of cooked assorted Meat
- 1/2 cup of cooked dried fish
- 1/2 cup of cooked stock fish (optional)
- 150 ml of Beef stock
- 150g fresh fish(optional)
- 1 tablespoon of ground Banga Spice (Aidan fruit+Rohojie)
- A handful of Banga spice leaves (called Obeletientien)…use scent leaves or bitter leaf as an alternative
- Oburunbebe stick (brown herbal stick used for Banga soup)
- 1 small onion bulb, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoonful ground crayfish
- 1 stock cube
- Chili pepper or scotch bonnet( to taste)
- Salt to taste
Here’s a list of the common Banga soup spices
Cooking Directions for Banga Soup
If you are using fresh palm kernel fruit(nut),Boil for 30 minutes and check to be sure the skin is soft. Then pound lightly in a mortar to extract the oil. Make sure you don’t break the nuts,while pounding. Pour in some hot water and strain the extract through a sieve.Put in a pot and boil until it thickens and the oil rises to the top.
For the canned palm nut pulp, pour into a pot and heat until the oil begins to rise to the top.
Add the meat stock or water, depending on the consistency you want.The less stock you add, the thicker the soup would be. Leave to boil for 10 minutes.
Now, add the chopped onions, assorted meat and dried fish. Mix well and add the pepper, ground crayfish , ground Banga spices and stock cube. Cover and leave to cook for 8 minutes.
Add the fresh fish and the oburunbebe stick , cover and cook until the fish is done.
Now, take out the oburunbebe stick, rinse and store for another use.(You can leave the stick in the pot and take it out when you are ready to transfer the soup into a container)
Add the Obeletientien leaves OR scent leaves OR bitter leaf, simmer for 1minute and your Banga soup is ready. ENJOY..
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete