I am not a big fan of Fondant Cake due to its high sugar content, but when you have kids in the house you just can’t help making one of these.
My little girl loves Polka dots, and to celebrate her Kinder-graduation we decided to make this beautiful Multi coloured Polka dot decoration.
You really don’t need any special tool for this decoration, all you need are :
– A Round Cake (I’m using an 8×3 inch cake,get recipe here)
– 600 gram Fondant (see how to make your fondant from scratch)
– Butter icing (see how to make it)
– Corn flour, Icing sugar or Butter (for your hands and working surface)
– 2 Circular cutters ( a bottle cap will do the job too)
– A small knife
– Food colouring or food dye( yellow, blue and green colour)
– Hand gloves ( to prevent stains)
1. Bake your cake and leave to cool completely. If the top of the cake is uneven, you can level it with a sharp knife. Then coat the top and sides of the cake smoothly with butter icing( see recipe here) and place in the fridge for 1 hour to harden a bit.
The butter icing helps to hide crumbs and bumps on the cake.
2. Dust, your work surface and rolling pin with icing sugar(or corn flour or butter); Place the fondant on the dusted or greased work table, and roll flat with the rolling pin(about 1/4 inch thick) ; make sure that all sides are equal. Tip: another cool method is to cover the work table with non-stick parchment paper(baking sheet), and roll the fondant on the paper.
3. Fold the rolled fondant on the rolling pin and carefully lift it up. Place onto the coated cake. Tip: if you had used a parchment paper(baking sheet), lift up the paper and gently place the rolled fondant on the cake.
4. Smooth the top and side of the cake, gently pressing the fondant onto the cake; smooth out any creases on the cake and cut out the extra edges with a small knife. Set aside to dry.
5. Now pick up the extra fondant (the one you cut out from the cake), divide it into 4 places, and add different coloring to them(yellow, green, blue and red(a little drop of red gives you pink).
See how to color fondant here
Roll each of them flat and cut out small and big circles (my lil’ girl made the bigger circles with a a bottle cap and the smaller ones with a pipe).
Also roll little circles in between your palms , to make the decoration for the edges of the cake.
6. Dab the decorations with a little water and place on the cake .
See, it’s easy! You can do it too☺.
|A big slice of the cake|
<<You might be interested in:
* Easy Multi-Colour Polka Dots Fondant Cake for Beginners
* How to make Fondant from scratch
* How to Color Fondant for Cake Decorating
* How to Make Butter Icing (buttercream icing)
* How to cover a cake with Fondant
* Nigerian Cake Recipe
* Apple cake recipe
* Banana cake recipe
* How to make Cake in a Sandwich Toaster