Coconut milk has lots of great benefits. It is used for cooking and also great as a beauty product.
I use it mostly for cookingNigerian Coconut Rice and it taste better than the canned coconut milk. One other cool thing is homemade coconut milk is free of preservatives .
Here’s how to make /extract your coconut milk at home.For the video lover here’s a video on How to Extract Coconut Milk
Materials used to Make / Extract Coconut Milk:
– Hard object for cracking/breaking the coconut(preferable, A hammer)
– A knife for prying out the coconut milk
– A sieve/strainer(with very tight holes) or a cheese cloth
– A blender or dry mill or grater
– Hot water(as needed)
Preparation 1. First crack open the coconut with a hard object or hammer , and place a cup over it to collect the coconut water(you can drink it, it very refreshing :))
2. Now break the coconut to smaller pieces;Using a small knife, pry out the coconut meat from the shell and place in a bowl of clean water.
Wash the coconut meat and cut it into several pieces and place in a blender or dry mill.
If you don’t have a blender, don’t cut the coconut meat into tiny pieces, simple grate the coconut using the smaller sides of your grater.
3. If you are using a blender, add a little warm water into the blender and grind the coconut meat into a very smooth paste. If you are using a dry mill, grind the coconut meat without any water added.3. Next pour the grated or milled coconut into a wide bowl , add a little warm water, mix well and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
4. Now pour out the mixture through a sieve/strainer(with very tight holes) or a cheese cloth and squeeze with your hands to make sure that you get all the milk out. Place the coconut chaff into a bowl and add a little more warm water .Repeat the same process until the milk you get is no longer ”milky” .If the coconut milk is for making coconut oil or coconut rice, use as needed and preserve the remaining in the freezer.