Coconut oil has been proven to be a beneficial oil for both health and beauty.
This oil is packed with antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
Coconut oil is one of the best oils for weight watchers when used in moderation and can also make a simple meal taste so heavenly.
++see how I used it in this recipe here++
If you live in the United States or the Carribbean, you could easily walk into your local store and pick up a jar of coconut oil; but that is not the case for those of us in Spain or in Nigeria.
I used to buy my coconut oil from a local Indian store, but the store keeper moved on and after a long search I decided to make my own.
Even though I only experimented with just one large coconut, I'ld say, it was worth all the effort and definitely sticking to homemade coconut oil.
Here's how to do it.
For the Homemade Coconut Oil you'll need:
- Coconut milk from matured coconut (click here to see how to extract coconut milk)
- A saucepan or pot
- A sterilized jar with a lid
Tip: A medium sized coconut will give you about 30 ml Coconut oil (more or less)
1. First follow the method here for how to make /extract coconut milk (you can choose to buy canned coconut milk from the stores).
2. Once you have your coconut milk ready, place it in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 5 hours.
You will notice that the coconut cream(the whitish/cream colored layer) had seperated from the water and has also solidified.
3. Now, gently scoop out the solidified coconut cream and place it in a clean sauce pan or pot.
4. Heat up the coconut cream, on low heat and stir constantly until it starts to bubble at the top and a clear oil begin to show.
5. Continue to simmer on low until the remnant in the saucepan darkens in color and reduces in size.
6. Gently scoop out the coconut oil and pour into a sterilized wide mouth jar or bottle.
Don't cover it until it cools completely. If not it will go rancid quickly.
And hey, don't throw away the cream remnant in the pot, you can use it for Nigerian Coconut Rice.
Now you have your own homemade coconut oil for
-Smoothies(see my tomato smoothie recipe here)
- Snacks and desserts(use in place of vegetable oil)
- Rich Meals like Nigerian Coconut Rice and a lot more
Note: The coconut oil will solidify and become white in color in cold temperature.
Check out Wellnessmama.com for 101 uses for Coconut Oil
Do you use coconut oil? Do you plan to to make homemade coconut oil? I'll love to hear what you think :)