Orange cake: a flavorful and moist dessert that will leave you wanting more!
Orange cake is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed by many for years.
It’s a moist and delicious cake that is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to weddings, or even just for a casual afternoon snack.
The refreshing taste of oranges combined with the sweetness of cake makes for a delectable treat that is hard to resist
The history of orange cake can be traced back to the Middle Ages when oranges were introduced to Europe from Asia. The fruit quickly became popular and was used in many different dishes, including cakes. Orange cake became especially popular in the 19th century when oranges became more widely available and affordable.
One of the things that makes orange cake so delicious is the use of fresh orange zest and juice in the batter. This gives the cake a natural citrus flavor that is both sweet and tangy. Some recipes also include orange liqueur, which adds an extra layer of flavor to the cake.
Flavors and Textures of Orange cake:
Orange cake comes in a variety of flavors and textures, ranging from light and airy sponge cakes to dense and rich pound cakes. Some bakers prefer to add a touch of vanilla to their orange cakes, while others opt for spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to enhance the flavor. Orange cakes can also be paired with a dusting of powdered sugar or various frostings and glazes, such as cream cheese frosting or a simple orange glaze.
One of the great things about orange cake is that it’s easy to make. Even if you’re not an experienced baker, you can still make a delicious orange cake at home with just a few simple ingredients. It’s a perfect dessert for those who want something quick and easy to whip up.
Health benefits of Orange cake
Oranges are a great source of Vitamin C, which is essential for boosting immunity and protecting against diseases. Orange cake made with fresh oranges can provide some of these health benefits.
Orange cake can be a great way to enjoy the benefits of this citrus fruit while satisfying your sweet tooth. However, it’s important to note that orange cake is still a dessert and should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
In conclusion, orange cake is a delicious and refreshing dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re serving it at a party or just enjoying it at home, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone. So the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet, try making an orange cake and see how delicious it can be !
Ingredients for Orange cake
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) orange zest (orange peel)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups plain flour (250grams)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Orange glaze:
1 cup orange juice + 3 tablespoon sugar
How to make the Orange Cake
– Preheat oven for 5 minutes at 180ºC and also prepare a baking pan
by lining with baking paper or oiling with butter
– Using a grater, grate the skin of a large orange or 2 small oranges
(don’t include the white skin as that part will make the cake bitter)
– Slice the oranges and squeeze out the juice using an orange juicer
– In a large bowl add the oil, the melted butter and the sugar and mix well
– then gradually add the eggs , one at a time as you whisk to combine
– add the milk, the orange juice , the orange zest and the vanilla and
mix until well combined
– Place a sieve over the bowl and sift in the flour, the baking powder and salt
– Mix gently to combine but don’t over- mix the batter
– Pour the orange cake batter into a lined or oiled cake pan and bake in the
preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes at 180 ºC .
The cake is done , when a skewer dipped into it comes out clean without sticky batter on it.
To make the Orange glaze:
– Combine 1 cup orange juice + 3 tablespoon sugar in a cup and heat up in a microwave or stove top.
You can choose to pour this hot glaze over the hot cake or simply brush it over the top of the cake
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) orange zest (orange peel)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour (250grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt