|Agidi – Eko with Akara|
Agidi , also known as Eko is a popular breakfast meal in Nigeria. It is served in combination with other foods such as Akara (fried bean cake), beans, Nigerian Pepper soup and other soups , depending on what each individual desires.
It is usually recommended for invalids or people just recovering from an illness.
If you are also watching your weight, you can use agidi as a fufu or eba substitute .
It is also recommended as a starter food for babies and could be enriched with milk and fruit puree before pouring into a mould or container to set.
Agidi is usually prepared in uma leaves or banana leaves, but in the absense of these leaves you can make use of any clean container of choice.
Agidi /Eko ingredients
- 1 Cup corn starch or corn flour(the white type)
- 300 ml water
1. Boil some water to 100ºc, the water should be very hot and bubbling.
2. In a clean dry pot dissolve the corn starch with little cold water, and then pour the hot water into the pot until the mixture becomes thick. It should look like thick Ogi(pap). Stir well to avoid lump formation.
3. Now add a little water , cover and leave to boil for 5 minutes.Mix well, and scoop a teaspoon of the Eko into a glass cup of cold water, if it sets , then your Agidi / eko is ready.
4. Scoop the mixture into any container of choice and leave to cool a bit and Enjoy!
Agidi / Eko can be served with any Nigerian soup, such as Nsala soup,Ogbono soup, Nigerian Pepper soup or Egusi soup. It can also be enjoyed alone or with Akara.
Thanks for your comments. Do join us on Nigerian Food TV channel for step by step video recipes amd also on all social media(Instagram, facebook and pinterest)☺.
How can i prepare corn flour with maize at home?
Tnk u so much. I luv ur recipe simple n well explained.
Hi nice one I'm still waiting for my healthy 9ja food recipe.but can the corn starch be done. At home corn
Yes sweetie, you can make the corn starch at home.
My husband really luv this food, thnks for the recipe. But hw can it b prepared with wet corn flour.
Hi dear, to do this,place the wet corn flour in a clean pot and dissolve with water, then pour the hot water into the pot until the mixture becomes thick. It should look like thick Ogi(pap).Stir well to avoid lump formation. Now continue with step 3 in recipe above 🙂
HOW DO I PREPARE GROUNDNUT STEW
Recipe coming soon 🙂
i like dis recipe, i have been so hungry of agidi but cant get it here in holland but now i knw i can make it am so happy. Pls can i buy the corn starch anywhere in the supermarket or is this flour u mean d normal flour for baking meat pie?
Thanks Esther, I'm glad to be of help sweetie. The flour to use is ''corn flour'', some stores sell it as ''Corn starch''. It's usually pure white in color. Please Don't use the flour for meat pie oo… that one is all purpose flour.. Let me know if you need more clarifications dear.