|Agidi – Eko with Akara|
Agidi , also known as Eko is a popular breakfast meal in Nigeria. It is served in combination with other foods such as Akara (fried bean cake), beans, Nigerian Pepper soup and other soups , depending on what each individual desires.
It is usually recommended for invalids or people just recovering from an illness.
If you are also watching your weight, you can use agidi as a fufu or eba substitute .
It is also recommended as a starter food for babies and could be enriched with milk and fruit puree before pouring into a mould or container to set.
Agidi is usually prepared in uma leaves or banana leaves, but in the absense of these leaves you can make use of any clean container of choice.
Agidi /Eko ingredients
- 1 Cup corn starch or corn flour(the white type)
- 300 ml water
1. Boil some water to 100ºc, the water should be very hot and bubbling.
2. In a clean dry pot dissolve the corn starch with little cold water, and then pour the hot water into the pot until the mixture becomes thick. It should look like thick Ogi(pap). Stir well to avoid lump formation.
3. Now add a little water , cover and leave to boil for 5 minutes.Mix well, and scoop a teaspoon of the Eko into a glass cup of cold water, if it sets , then your Agidi / eko is ready.
4. Scoop the mixture into any container of choice and leave to cool a bit and Enjoy!