|Battered plantain served with ”mayo-ketch”|
Battered plantain has become one of my favorite plantain recipes. I had the pleasure of eating it at an Asian wedding. It was served with hot chocolate and was delish. I have recreated it several times in my kitchen and served with omelet, pepper sauce or ”mayo-ketch” and my family just can’t get enough.
I’ll have to confess that we are a plantain loving family, so watch out for more plantain recipes ☺.
Here’s how to prepare this Spicy Battered Plantain.
– 1 Yellow Plantain(use green plantains if you want it crunchy)
– 1 egg
– seasoning cube(maggi,knorr/powder (to taste)
– Pepper(to taste)
– a big Pinch of Salt
– a pinch of Baking soda(optional, but adds ”fluff” to the batter)
– 3/4 Plain Flour( about 2 tablespoonful)
– Water (enough to form a thick paste)
<<Here’s a video recipe on how to prepare Nigerian Battered Plantain>>
1. Break the egg into a bowl, add the seasoning cube, pepper, salt and baking soda(if you’re using any).
Mix well, add the flour and gradually add the water until you get a thick batter. Set aside for later use.
2. Slit the plantain and peel off the skin. Slice the plantains thinly in diagonal shapes or any shape you like.
3. Dip the plantains into the batter, coat thoroughly
Now, fry in hot oil until brown on both sides.
If you are left with some batter, don’t pour it out, add some milk and make a pancake.