Nigerian Fried Rice with Eggs
NigerianFried Rice is one of the most versatile Nigerian Rice recipe.
There are several variations, of which the Egg fried rice is one of them.
The egg fried rice isn’t so different from the classic Nigerian Fried Rice, but the addition of eggs, takes this delicious meal to different tasty level… I promise, you’ll love it. ☺
Nigerian Egg Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 500g long grain white Rice
- 2-3 eggs
- 500ml Chicken or Turkey stock/broth
- 100g cooked&diced Cow Liver (use beef as a substitute)
- 2 large Carrots
- 1 handful Green Peas or Runner Beans
- 1 large Green bell pepper
- 1 Onion bulb
- 2-3 tablespoonful Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoonful Garlic Powder
- ½ tablespoonful Black or white pepper (optional)
- 2- 3 Cooking spoonful Vegetable Oil
- 2 stock cube or bouillon cube for Seasoning
- Salt (to taste)
1. The first step is to prepare the Vegetables;
a. Wash all the vegetables.
Dice the onion & set aside ;
b. Peel the carrots & cut into small cubes.
c. Remove the seeds of the green bell peppers & cut pepper into small cubes.
Tip: Although fresh veggies are the best for Nigerian egg fried rice, frozen vegetables can also be used(after thawing).
d. Place the green peas& carrots in boiling water for 5 minutes, strain out and place in a bowl of cold water, leave to cool in the water, then pour into
a sieve and set aside.
Tip: this method is called blanching. It helps to par-boil the vegetables without cooking it through, thereby cutting down the stir-frying process. It also helps to preserve the vibrant color of the vegetables.You can skip this step,If you want crunchy vegetables.
4a . Pour the chicken stock into a large pot and bring to a boil. As the stock begins to boil, add the parboiled rice, seasoning cubes(stock cubes), curry powder, garlic powder, onions and salt to taste. Leave to cook on medium heat until it’s done.
The stock should be at almost the same level as the rice, so that it dries up completely when the rice is done.
You can add some water if the stock won’t be enough to cook the Rice.
TIP; The cooked rice should not be soggy or too tender and the grains shouldn’t stick together either.
5. Break the eggs, add salt to taste, whisk and Fry in a pan(like an omelet),cool and dice the fried eggs.
6. Heat up the vegetable oil; add the carrots, peas, green bell pepper and diced liver/meat; stir-fry for 1 min and then add white/black pepper, a pinch of curry & a little seasoning cube to taste…mix together and add the diced eggs. Mix thoroughly and pour into a bowl.
The Rice is going to be fried in small batches, so you’ll have to divide the stir-fried vegetables into portions, to go with the quantity of rice you cooked.
7. Pour a portion of the stir-fried mix into the frying pan; add the cooked rice and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
Tip: Do not overcrowd the pan,make sure there is a little space in the pan so that you can move the rice around the pan for even distribution of heat.
Repeat this process for the remaining rice and vegetable mix.
You might also like the Classic Nigerian Fried Rice Recipe
* All Rice Recipes
By Nky Lily Lete
Please leave your comments, doubts, questions and success stories below