|Nigerian jollof Rice and Beans|
Nigerian Rice and Beans is a meal that is prepared by combining rice and beans together. This is a favorite way of enjoying the richness of both foods.
You can choose to prepare it plain or as jollof.
For those who find it less appealing, eating cooked beans alone, the combination of these two meals will surely delight your taste buds.
Here’s an easy recipe for you …Enjoy!
Nigerian Rice and beans ingredients
- 500 grams Rice
- 250 grams black eyed beans
- 5 cooking spoonful tomato stew/fish stew/chicken stew /beef stew
- 1 chopped medium sized onion
- 2 tablespoonful of ground crayfish
- 1 stock cube/bouillon cube
- Meat/chicken stock(optional), you can use water and extra seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
Cooking directions for Nigerian Rice and Beans
1.To cut down cooking time,wash and soak the beans for about 3 hours. Pour out the water, rinse the beans in clean water and place in a pot.
2. Pour enough water to cover the beans and leave to boil until the beans is tender, but not mushy (you can add a little baking soda or akawun, while boiling the beans to cook it faster).
3.Parboil the rice using this method on How to parboil Rice and set aside.
4. In a larger pot, add the stew and meat/chicken stock(or water) and leave to boil. Then add the parboiled Rice and cooked beans, ground crayfish,stock cubes, pepper and salt to taste.
5. Mix well and add enough water if the liquid in the pot is not as the same level as the rice and beans.Cover the pot and leave to cook on medium heat until there is no more liquid in the pot.
6. Take off the lid, stir thoroughly and serve hot with fried plantains, chicken, fish, turkey, beef or any meat of choice. Nigerian Rice and Beans is usually enjoyed with a chilled drink.
Thanks for your comments and feedbacks. Do join us on Nigerian Food TV channel and Facebook for step by step video recipes ☺.
|Nigerian Rice and Beans|
* All Rice Recipes
* How to cook Nigerian Fried Rice
* How to Cook Nigerian Coconut Rice
* How to Parboil long grain white Rice(Nigerian method)
* Jollof Rice : How to Cook Nigerian Party Jollof Rice
Please leave your comments, doubts, questions and success stories below
By Nky Lily Lete
Looks good! Can I substitute either sardines or fish sauce for the crawfish? Thanks
Thanks Alison and no you can’t use sardines in place of the ground crayfish
as sardines will subdue the taste of the food,
but you can leave out the ground crayfish if you don’t have any.
Thanks dear,i really appretiate
My pleasure Jazzmin
This method is quite easy and comprehensible. I think it’s the ideal method of preparing the dish .Thumbs up!
Enter your comment…i have not made jellof rice and beans before but i have a good idea of what it would look like by reading your recepie and i have no doubt in my mind that it will be great. Thanks alot for this platform. It is really a blessing to us nigerian women. We love you, Nky
Enter your comment…let me go and try the jellof rice and beans. I have not done it before but i have no doubt in my mind that it will be great, because your recepies are always good. Thanks alot for this platform. Your recepies are really a blessing to us nigerian women. We love you Nky.
I love ur recipes simple n straight Frward. Tnks alot
thanks Hajara,You're welcome 🙂
I made the coconut rice o. I reduced the heat but it still got burnt quickly. I didn't remove it o just reduced the heat some more. It turned out extremely delicious. Thank you ma.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, even if no one wants there jollof or coconut rice to burn..even a bit.., we surely can't deny the fact that a litle burn adds a smoky flavor partylike flavor to the rice, abi :
I rili enjoy fried frice…xo yummy nd sumptous u knw..luv ur presentation ma…#kudos (wish i can meet u to teach me practically o)
thanks hun 🙂
When I cooked my fried rice the colour wasn't green enough
green?You can either add more curry or food coloring.
Mehn! see presentation! The picture alone is mouth watering. You're the best ma.
Thanks dearie 🙂
Wow, this looks really really yummy.
Before my monthly flow I noticed the pimples in my face disappeared after taking bitter leaf juice
Thanks for your feedback dearie, bitter leaf juice is very powerful 🙂
I don’t have meat or chicken how will iake jollof rice and beans with only 400