|Okazi Soup...delicious !|
Afang soup and Okazi soup are very similar, the only major difference is the thickener that is added to the Okazi soup to give it more viscosity and most people prefer to make Okazi leaves the only vegetable in the soup(without adding any other leaves).
The vegetables used for the Okazi/Ukazi soup includes Okazi leaves(called Afang leaves by the Efiks and Ibibio) and water leaves(spinach and lamb lettuce can be used as alternatives for this vegetable).
Here's an easy recipe to try out...Enjoy!
Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup) Recipe
*1 handful Egusi /melon seeds or 2 handful ground Egusi /melon seeds (achi OR ofor OR ukpo can be used as a substitute)
*500 gr beef or assorted meat
*100 gr Smoked fish
*Stock fish (optional)
*2 tablespoonful ground crayfish
*Fresh pepper or ground dried pepper (to taste)
*Water leaves(or lamb lettuce as an alternative if you live outside Africa)
*Afang Leaves(okazi/ukazi leaves)
*500 ml Palm oil
*1 Stock cube(maggi/knorr or any one you have)
*salt to taste
Cooking directions for Okazi soup
1. First cook the assorted meat and stock fish, Clean the dried fish and set aside.
*Grind the achi or egusi seeds(melon seeds), add some warm water in it, mix well, and set aside
*Slice the water leaves and Okazi leaves and set aside.If you are making use of dried Okazi leaves, you can blend it .
2. Heat up the palm oil, add some chopped onion , fry a bit and then add the mixed egusi. Stir the mixture continuously until the egusi begins to bubble a bit.
3. Now add some meat stock, mix thoroughly, cover and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
(if using achi, this is the time to add it)
After 5 minutes, add the stock cube and ground crayfish. Mix well and then add the cooked meat, stock fish and dry fish.You can add periwinkles at the stage , if you have some. Cover and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
4. Next , add the Okazi leaves, leave to simmer for 5 minutes and then add the water leaves.Add salt to taste , simmer for 2 minutes and your Okazi Soup is ready..Enjoy.
Okazi/Ukazi soup is usually served hot with Eba, Pounded Yam, Fufu, Semolina, Amala, Wheat meal, Tuwo Masara or any Nigerian Bolus meal.
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
* Nigerian Okra Soup
By Nky Lily Lete