If you've ever prepared Moi moi or Akara from scratch, you know that peeling or dehulling the beans is one of the cooking tasks that discourages a lot of people from cooking these delicious meals.
The traditional method of peeling beans, is done by soaking the beans in water for about 30 minutes to a few hours, then scrubbing the beans in between your palms to peel of the coat. This method is okay, but could be time consuming and discouraging, especially if you're new to cooking.
But,here's an easier method, you'll surely like, no more long soaking; no more scrubbing! no more planning ahead to eat moi moi, now you can have peeled beans in less than 10 minutes. Enjoy!
- Beans (Black eyed beans ,Red beans or Lima beans)
* First, place the beans in a large bowl and pour enough water to cover the beans.
Leave to soak in the water for only 5 minutes.
Tip: the soaking helps to soften the bean coat, without softening the beans.
* After 5 minutes, place some of the beans into the blender, pour enough water to make the beans move freely in the blender.
If your blender has a 'pulse' button, pulse the beans intermittently for 5 minutes(pressing down on the button for like 10 seconds each time).
But if there's no pulse button, use the normal blender button. Blend for 10 seconds,stop and repeat at intervals to avoid blending the beans. Do this for 5 minutes.
Tip: you'll see through the blender jar as the coat peels off the beans.
* Now, pour the content into a bowl and repeat the process for the remaining soaked beans.
* Pour some water into the bowl with the peeled beans;As the bean coat floats to the surface, strain the coat through the sieve and leave the white(peeled beans) in the bowl.
Repeat this process with fresh water until you have all the coat in the sieve.
Tip: if you see an unpeeled beans in the bowl, don't worry , simply pick them out and peel with your fingers.
Let's say a big thank you, to two Nigerianfoodtv fans (Tinuke&Angel) for this time saving tip☺.
* Nigerian Akara recipe with step by step pics
* Moin moin recipe (moi moi)
What do you think about this method, we love your comments ❤