Nigerian Shawarma is the ”Nigerian version’ of the famous Shawarma (made with beef or chicken filling).
This tasty snack has become a popular meal on the streets of Nigeria and is also one of the most requested recipes I have received.
Years back, I used to get mine at the eatery and also wondered how I could re-make this tasty snack at home, with basic spices readily available in most Nigerian kitchens; including the Shawarma bread.
After some trials and errors, I finally got the perfect mix. Now I present to you, the most delicious, tasty , mouthwatery, palate-tingling Nigerian shawarma you can ever get ☺.
This recipe is deliciously addicting and so easy to prepare, that you’ll want to make Shawarma everyday.
All said, this is my Nigerian Chicken Shawarma Recipe. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Nigerian Chicken Shawarma
This makes about 6+ large Shawarma wraps
- 2 Chicken breasts(de-boned/boneless)
- 2 Chicken Thighs(a.k.a Chicken laps)(de-boned/boneless)(You can also use de-boned/boneless beef )
- 6+ Shawarma bread(either pita bread/flour tortilla wraps)
- 1 small sized Cabbage(cut into thin strips)
- 3 medium sized Carrots(grated or cut into thin strips)
- 1 large Cucumber(cut into thin strips&circles)
- 2 big Tomatoes(cut into thin strips)
- 1 medium sized Onions(cut into thin strips)
- Mayonnaise(see how to make it at home)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable /olive oil(for stir frying)
For the marinade:
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoon curry(I used ducros brand)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder/2 teaspoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large chicken stock cube/bouillon cube(crushed into powder)
- Half a teaspoon black pepper
- Chilli pepper to taste
- Salt to taste(optional because the stock cube already contains salt)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable /Olive oil
- Wash and cut the vegetables into thin strip(if you haven’t done that yet) and set aside. Also Cut the chicken or beef into thin strips and set aside. Tip: I always recommend,using a combination of Chicken thighs&Breasts,because the fat from the thighs adds extra flavor and compliments the taste of the chicken breast.
- Place the chicken strips into a bowl, add the marinade and mix thoroughly until well incorporated. Then cover and store in the fridge for 2 to 24 hours(depending all how much time you have). Tip: I actually don’t wait 24 hours, I just store overnight or for 2-3 hours,but I realized that the longer the meat marinades, the better it tastes.
- In a pan, heat up a tablespoonful of oil. Add the marinated chicken/beef & stir fry until juicy and brown. Scoop unto a plate and set aside.
4. Mix some mayonnaise and ketchup together(”mayo-ketch” spread).
Place a shawarma bread on a clean flat surface and cut into two equal sizes(that’s if you are using a large pita bread).
But if using a very flat bread or tortilla wraps, simply, spread the ”mayo-ketch” on it and then fill it with the sliced vegetables on one end and Sprinkle some chili pepper(optional);
Then fold the bread, tuck in the edge, and roll to form a shawarma wrap…yummyyyy!
Tip: if you want to warm it up a bit, place on a heated pan for 3 minutes(the closed edge facing the pan). If you have a microwave or sandwich maker, feel free to use those too.
And your Homemade Nigerian Chicken Shawarma is ready… Enjoy!
Quick Note: There are several breads used for making shawarma; which includes, Pita bread,Naan bread, flour tortilla wraps and a lot more. Just make use of any one you have… it also tastes great in sliced bread(sandwich bread) and our local Agege bread☺ ..yes oo!
Enjoy, leave a comment & send me your pic..☺