|Ogbono soup served with wheat meal|
It is common to see ogbono soup prepared with Ugwu(fluted pumpkin leaves) or Spinach(as in this recipe here), but my grandma always prepare hers’ with Bitter leaf, and trust me… it’s surprisingly delicious.
Ingredients • 2 handfuls of Ogbono Seeds/3 handfuls ground Ogbono powder• Assorted Meat and Fish: (could be a mixture of any of these :Beef, cowfoot, Shaki(tripe), DryFish,Ponmo(cow skin) or Stock Fish)• 3 Cooking spoonful Palm Oil• 1 handful washed Bitter leaf(onugbu)..or a mixture of bitter leaf and ugwu (fluted Pumpkin leaves)• Meat Stock•Crayfish(as you like it, but not more than a handful)•1 Onion bulb, minced•2 bouillon cubes (Maggi, Knorr or any brand you have)•Chilli Pepper or scotch bonnet(atarodo) (to taste)• salt (to taste)
• Water(as needed)Cooking Directions**If you’re using Whole ogbono seeds, Grind them thoroughly using a good blender.** Wash , season and Cook the assorted meat.**Chop the onions and Grind the pepperNow to cook the Soup… * Pour the red palm oil into a dry pot. Set on low heat and add the minced onions(adding onions is optional).
Put off the heat and add the ground Ogbono into the oil and dissolve the ground ogbono. *Now, put the pot back on low heat and add a little water, cover and leave to boil for a minute. You will notice that the mixture has become thicker and has started to ”draw” or has a slimy texture.*Stir the soup constantly so that it does not burn at the bottom, then add the shredded bitter leaf and leave to boil for about 15 minutes; you should check on it and stir the soup constantly to prevent burning.
*Then, add the meat stock, cooked stock fish, cooked assorted meat, stock cube, pepper and the ground crayfish. Mix well, cover and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes,you should check on it and stir the soup constantly to prevent burning.*At this stage , you will notice the change in the aroma of the soup. Stir and add any other leaves you intend using (e.g Ugwu) and then add salt to taste. Simmer for a minute and put of the heat.
Now your Ogbono soup with bitter leaf is ready. Serve and enjoy with any Nigerian bolus meal, such as Eba, Fufu, Pounded Yam, Tuwo Masara, Wheat meal or Semolina…Enjoy!
Other Related Recipes
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* Nigerian Tomato Stew(Vegan Stew)
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* How to Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup(Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)
By Nky Lily Lete