Ofe Di Na Nwayi (Lovers' soup)
Ofe Di Na Nwayi literally means ''husband and wife soup'' in Igbo language. This Nigerian soup is not so popular among the young easterners of Nigeria (where the soup originated from).
But, according to grandma, it is a traditional ''Lovers soup'' that is served to newly weds as their first meal together, during or right after their traditional marriage.
One of the ingredients for Ofe Di Na Nwayi is the ''heart of a cow'' which is said to signify love ☺. This soup can also be served on Valentine's day.
Trust me,this is a tasty soup,you'll surely enjoy.
+++see video recipe here+++
Ingredients for Ofe Di Na Nwayi
- Heart of a cow(cut into pieces) (substitute the heart with 10 pieces beef or chicken meat )
- 1 Large sized smoked fish
- 1 stockfish head or 2 medium sized pieces stockfish parts
- 2 handful Egusi seeds or Ofor or Achi (to thicken the soup)
- 2 handful Uziza leaves (some folks use Okazi/ukazi leaves )
- 1 tablespoonful ground Crayfish
- 2 cooking spoonful Palm oil
- 1 Small onion bulb (chopped)
- ground dry pepper/chopped scotch bonnet(atarodo)(to taste)
- 1 stock cube/seasoning cube or seasoning powder
- Salt to taste
**Food Note: Although Okazi is also used for this soup, I recommend Uziza leaves because it gives the soup a great flavor.
See the difference between Uziza and Okazi/ukazi leaves .
- First place the Egusi or Achi or Ofor in a blender and grind until smooth. Set aside for later use
- Wash and remove bones from the smoked fish, and Set aside for later use
Now to cook the soup-
1. Wash and season the stock fish and cow heart (or beef ) with chopped onions, stock cube and salt to taste.Cook the meat in it's juice for 5 minutes , then add a little water and leave to cook until tender.
2. Add a cup of water to the cooked meat and stockfish, add the palm oil, ground egusi or achi, ground pepper and ground crayfish; mix thoroughly, and if the consistency is too thick, add more water.
Leave to boil for 10- 15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
Tip: if you're using achi, first dissolve in cold water before adding to the soup.
3. Now, add the cleaned smoked fish and the shredded ukazi or uziza leaves.
Taste for salt , mix thoroughly and leave to simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes, depending on the leaf you're using.
Then stir thoroughly and put of the heat.
Tip: okazi leaves are tough, that is why you have to simmer for up to 10 minutes.
Serve your delicious Ofe Di Na Nwayi with pounded yam, fufu, wheat meal,Eba or any swallow of choice.
Here are some related Nigerian Soup Recipes:
* Nigerian Ogbono Soup :How to Cook Ogbono Soup
* Ofe Nsala (Igbo White Soup) : Nsala Soup
* Ofada stew (a.k.a Ayamase)
* Nigerian Yam and Fresh Fish Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Sauce
* Efo Riro Soup Recipe
* Gbegiri /Miyan Wake
* Nigerian Goat Meat Pepper Soup
* Okra Soup with Fresh Fish and Assorted Meat
* Nigerian Mixed Vegetable Sauce
* Egusi Soup With Fresh Fish & Vegetables
* Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
* Nigerian Beef Stew
* Banga Soup : Urhobo Isoko Banga Soup Recipe
* Nigerian Chicken Stew
* Ewa Agoyin Sauce
* How to Cook Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup)
* Obe Ata Dindin : Nigerian Fried Pepper Stew
* How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
* How to Cook Afang Soup
* Nigerian Pepper Soup
* Nigerian Fish Stew (Obe Eja Tutu)
* Ofe Owerri Soup
* Egusi Soup with bitter leaf (Ofe Egusi/Obe Efo Elegusi)