How to make Cake Browning (Homemade Browning or Burnt Sugar syrup)
Homemade Browning or Burnt Sugar syrup is a dark liquid used as a coloring for Cakes, ice creams and also as a marinade for meats.
It is also very easy to make, all you need are 2 ingredients. Here's how to prepare it.
Ingredients for Browning (Burnt Sugar syrup)
This make about 1 and 1\2 cups Food Browning
- 1 cup White or Brown Sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Pour the sugar into a heavy bottomed pan or pot with high sides.
Heat up the sugar on medium heat, until the sugar melts completely and changes from white to light brown caramel, then from light brown to very dark brown (almost black) color.
Note: don't be tempted to stir it until the sugar has melted completely.
If using brown sugar, the sugar will melt and turn dark brown faster than if using white sugar.
2. Now, gradually pour in the boiling water.
The browning will foam and bubble a bit, wait until the bubbling goes down, then stir well and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until the water incorporates with the syrup.
Note: if you get lumps,don't worry about that and keep on stirring until the lump melts into syrup.
3. Put off the heat and leave to cool,then pour into a glass jar, seal and store in the fridge.
It will keep for up to 4 months.
<<Also check out:
* Easy Multi-Colour Polka Dots Fondant Cake for Beginners
* How to make Fondant from scratch
* How to Color Fondant for Cake Decorating
* How to Make Butter Icing (buttercream icing)
* How to cover a cake with Fondant
* Nigerian Cake Recipe
* Apple cake recipe
* Banana cake recipe
* How to make Cake in a Sandwich Toaster